Chapter 6

"Mama please! Please Mama?" I begged, trying to convince my mom to let me spend the weekend at Shawni's.

"I don't know them folks." She spoke while flipping the frying chicken.

"She's my friend, Ma! Please!"

"Well... I'll have to meet her first."

"Yes!"

I hugged her tightly and kissed her cheek while she smiled.

"You're going to burn yourself Bre'Butt."

"They'll be over tomorrow."

I left the kitchen and noticed Anthony in the hall playing with an electric car. I kicked over before walking back to my bedroom.

"Mama!" I heard him scream before I closed my door.

"She said she wants to meet your parents." I spoke into the phone.

"Okay, she can meet my aunt tomorrow!"

We talked a few more hours before disconnecting the call and I went to sleep. I was excited and couldn't wait to introduce them to my mom.

The next day Shanda, Shawni's aunt, was coming over. I cleaned the living room spotless because I didn't want mama changing her mind at the last minute about why I couldn't go. When they arrived my bags were already packed. All I needed was a yes from her and I was out of this house. When Shawni and Shawni pulled up outside, I instantly grew anxious. They knocked at the door and I wasted no time opening it.

"Hey y'all!" I greeted hugging them both.

Shawni was dressed regularly, but when I took a good look at Shanda, she was wearing a high bun, with glasses, a purple blouse and black slacks. When she caught my eyes on her, she smiled.

It was obvious that she was trying to make a good first impression when she met my mom. I stepped aside and they entered.

"Hi, How are you?" My mom spoke extending her hand to Shanda.

"Fine, How are you? I'm really excited that I finally get to meet you, Shawni talks well about Bre'ly, so I knew that she would come from a wonderful household."

It was clear to me that Shanda was pretending because she didn't come off that way when I met her but I didn't care. My mom must have believed the act, because after ten minutes of talking to Shanda, she was practically pushing me out of the door.

"Okay, have fun and call me if you need anything." My mom waved as I got into the back of the truck.

"Don't worry, she's in safe hands." Shanda smiled.

We pulled away from my house and when we were about three blocks away, Shanda pulled the bun down and snatched her glasses off.

"Damn Bre'lyn, I thought we might be there all night." Shanda spoke, running her fingers through her hair.

"My mom can talk a lot." laughed after my statement and she smiled.

"Y'all hungry?"

"Yea!" Shawni quickly spoke.

As soon as we finished our food from the McDonald's drive-thru, we made our way over to her place. But when I stepped inside, I was completely taken back. The house was bustling with men, and most of them were gathered in the kitchen. Curiosity got the better of me, so I took a closer look and realized they were cooking something on the stove. It was definitely an unexpected sight.

I quickly shut the door behind me and followed Shawni and Shanda into the living room. They seemed completely unfazed by the presence of all these men, as if it was a normal occurrence. As we entered the living room, I noticed a man sitting on the couch, caught up in a phone call. Shanda confidently made her way towards him, sitting on his lap and pulling him close. He reminded me of JR Smith, the basketball player but a bit taller and more brown complected. When he ended the call, Shanda passionately kissed him, leaving me unsure of where to direct my gaze. It was a bit awkward, to say the least.