Chapter 4

In the morning, I was abruptly awakened by the blaring sound of my alarm clock. Groaning, I reached over and hit the snooze button, desperately trying to steal a few more minutes of precious sleep. But, as expected, the alarm went off again just five minutes later, jolting me out of my cozy cocoon. I could hear Anthony screaming raps lyrics from the bathroom in the distance. 

With a burst of energy, I finally forced myself to get out of bed. I went through my usual morning routine, brushing my teeth and splashing cold water on my face to wake myself up. As I opened my closet, I was surprised to see a variety of clothes to choose from. Thanks to the shopping spree I had on Friday with Shawni, finding something to wear no longer felt like a daunting task.

I carefully sifted through the hangers, my fingers gliding over the fabric until I found the perfect outfit. I decided to go for a pink cropped shirt paired with low-rise jeans. The cropped shirt's distance from the jean line showcased the curve of my back and accentuated the shape of my hips. Today was the day I had been waiting for, a chance to show everyone the new and confident me.

    After finding my clothes, I was out of my room and heading for the door. I was eager to get to school and see Shawni's reaction to my new look. "Baby, you ain't gonna stay for breakfast?" Mama called after me, stopping me in my tracks, I was on a mission.

"Oh, Ma I was tryna catch up with Monica."

"Well that's surprising, you usually take your time in the morning. Maybe I'll be able to save a few dollars on groceries now." She was sipping coffee before Anthony brushed by me roughly plopping down at the table, pulling his handheld game out. I walked over to her, gave her a peck on the cheek, and headed out of the door.

The morning sun cast a warm glow on my exposed back as I walked towards school, feeling the heat beam down on me endlessly. I was eternally grateful that I was not wearing my hoodie on this hot day. As I strolled along, I was greeted by a familiar voice.

"Good morning, Bre'lyn," she said with a kind smile, her eyes filled with warmth as she took in my new appearance.

"Good morning, Ms. Peters," I replied, matching her smile. It was always heartwarming to exchange greetings with her.

"You look absolutely beautiful today," she continued, her hand resting on her hip as she observed me. "There's something different about you... you remind me of a younger version of myself."

I blushed at her compliment, grateful for her kind words. "Thank you," I said, my smile widening.

"You're welcome, baby," she replied, pushing her cart in a different direction. I watched her go, feeling a sense of gratitude for her unexpected kindness.      When I was close to school, a group of guys in a black truck slowed down next to me.

 "Damn baby, what's yo name?" One asked from the back window. I had recognized a few of them from school and figured they were going to the same place. "You sexy as fuck." Another continued, biting his lips and sizing me up like a I was a full course meal and he was a starving man.

I tried my best  to contain the smile that hid behind my  folded lip, never lifting my head before responding to their comments. "Thank you." I was now walking towards the entry of the school.

"Damn, you gone do a nigga like that? I cant get yo number?" 

I turned, winked in his direction and continued through the double door, searching for my friend. 

       As I stepped into the school, I couldn't help but notice all eyes on me. It felt like the spotlight was suddenly shining directly on me, and I could feel the weight of everyone's gaze. Heads turned in my direction, and I caught glimpses of both curiosity and jealousy in their eyes. Some even rolled their eyes, as if they couldn't handle the attention I was receiving.