Chapter 2

Walking into class early was always my strategy too, just to avoid the whole "walking to my seat while everyone stares" situation. I would find my spot by the wall, take off my backpack, and observe as the class filled up and conversations got louder. It was always interesting to watch everyone interact and form groups.

But once the teacher walked in, you could hear a pin drop. First period was my favorite because it was so quiet, allowing me to really focus and think. The teacher told us to open our books to page 43, and we all diligently worked on the assignment after lecture. Time flew by, and before we knew it, the bell rang, signaling the end of class.

As the day went on, classes felt long as usual. Lunchtime rolled around, and while Monica and I had our lunch breaks at different time, I usually found myself doing something else. On that particular day, I decided to head to the library. On my way there, I happened to spot Lamar at his locker. I quickly fixed my hair and continued walking, hoping he would notice me as I passed by, as unrealistic as that sounded. But then, out of nowhere, Kyra Jones appeared and playfully covered Lamar's eyes, ruining my planned moment.

Their interaction was adorable, like something in a romcom. Kyra asked Lamar  "Guess who?" He jokingly replied, "Ummm, my baby Grace?" 

They both laughed, and Kyra removed her hands and punched him playfully, telling him to stop playing with her mama. It was clear that they had a playful friendship. Kyra was of course popular, being a varsity cheerleader in the 11th grade. She was stunning, like some kind of social media model, with lighter brown skin, shoulder-length pressed black hair, and beautiful hazel eyes. Her deep dimples creased with each smile, large enough to fit the tip of your finger inside. And yes, everyone knew she had a beautiful figure too, I guess cheerleading had her in shape because of the strict regiment. She was dating a guy named Greg, who she claimed to be in love with. It was always interesting to observe their dynamic, as I internally questioned why she was in the hall with him and how he knew her mother's name.

"Man yo mama bad, and her body..." He said, gesturing his hands in a coke bottle form.

"Keep talking about my ma, and you can't have me." She said moving closer to him and wrapping her arms around his neck as he smiled and licked his lips. She was brushing her fingers  against the side of his ears, admiring him closely as I watched out of the corner of my eyes.

"Yo nigga gone be mad if he see you out here with me." Lamars's tall from shadowed over her, maintaining eye contact and seriousness. Maybe they had some kind of secret affair going on that nobody knew about. I was jealous at the thought of them spending time together and wondered what their discussions were like on the phone. From what I knew, Lamar was single and if he did date, it was very private.

"Why you always gotta bring Greg up?" She rolled her eyes in annoyance pouting her lip and switching her weight to one side. Her zipped jacked hung off of her shoulder, exposing the top half her chest that was accessorized with a single locket necklace from her boyfriend.

"Cause that's yo nigga. You never know who's watchin'." He shot back unwrapping her arms and her bralettes clanked in the distance. "Can't have that nigga tryna fuck me up before my big game." Lamar joked, pulling Kyra's zipper up and making it less revealing. 

She looked at be walking by before popping her gum and rolling her eyes. "Who her? She ain't nobody. Who she gone tell?" She said turning back to him with the back of her thumb pointed in my direction as I finally passed by.

He turned around and closed his locker before throwing his backpack over his shoulder. "Text me." Lamar sighed, obviously ready to end the conversation with her before walking off.

  I headed over to the library and found a seat at a table. Since I didn't need a book, I pulled out my notes and studied for Ms. David's test. When the bell rang, I made my way to 6th period. I was the first one in the class, and soon others started filling the room. It got pretty noisy, but I just focused on my notebook the whole time. I could have blended in with the wall in that class, I had no one to talk to. Thankfully, we didn't have any homework this week because of the test. When the bell rang, we all left for 7th period.