ѕσвєr ѕαturdαч níght

Sober Saturday Night sung by Chris Young

He felt terrible. He laid on the couch, listening to sad country songs playing in the background. He knew their pain, wishing he had to energy to sing along. He curled into a small ball, not wanting to even move again. The sunlight from the windows were shining into his brown eyes, blinding him.

He forced himself off the couch to shut the shades. Since he was up, decided to shut every one in the house, making the place as dark as night, mirroring his emotion. He felt miserable. The thought of her made him want to cry. He missed her and him. They were like puzzle pieces, each one completing the other.

He wandered back to his bedroom, shutting the shades in there along his way to his bed. He looked at the crumpled white sheets. They were always made when she was around. He pinched the bridge of his imperfect nose and let out a painful sigh. The thought of waking up to another lonely Sunday morning made him want to throw up. They used to wake up intertwined together, but now he just woke up feeling the ghost of her.

He somehow ended back up in the living room. His phone buzzed on the coffee table beside him. Hoping it was maybe her, he quickly picked up the phone. He swiped left, unlocking his phone. He swiftly tapped his messages, only to see it was one of his friends. He left out a depressing sigh. Being as he was curious, he tapped the message.

Naveen- Hey buddy, you haven't left your house in a while. We're going out for drinks, want to join us?

Eugene groaned and leaned back against the leather couch. He didn't want to go out for a drink. He just wanted to suffer alone. Everyone had been telling him that it was time to move on, that she was already gone. But that didn't change the fact that he fell head over boots for her.

Naveen- There's some hot brunettes here. Maybe getting laid might make you feel better?

Eugene frowned and tossed his phone to the side. Getting laid wouldn't take his mind off her. She was his everything, his sunshine on a rainy day. But she didn't think the same. He wasn't sure what to do now that she was gone.

All he felt was sadness. It was coursing through his veins, pumped from his broken heart. If he could pick a color to describe himself, he would pick blue. If he could pick his favorite weather, he would pick a dark, rainy day. Unfortunately, that wasn't the current weather.

He tossed and turned on the couch, not wanting to fall asleep. Eugene didn't want to wake up feeling lost and alone. But all he wanted to do was escape this feeling. It felt like it was suffocating him. Suddenly, he began to cough.

He trudged towards his faucet, desperate for a glass of cool water to flow down his dry throat. He couldn't remember the last time he ate or drank properly. He had been so focused on his emotions, that he forgot about his health.

He heard his cell phone buzzing on the coffee table, but he ignored it. He knew who was on the other line. He didn't want to go out tonight. Eugene felt awful. What was wrong with him? He suddenly felt weak, dropping the glass the floor, shattering pieces everywhere. He was breaking down, tears threatening to spill.

He bent down to pick up the pieces, only to cut himself. "Great. Just the way my day is going." He mumbled. He tossed the glass shards into the trash and headed to the bathroom to clean himself up. After taking care of his wound, his knees gave out. He leaned against the sink for support, trying to stay upright.

He looked up, seeing his reflection in the mirror. His dark locks were a mess, tangling each way and that. He had bags under his bloodshot brown eyes. His five o'clock shadow was visible. He couldn't even remember the last time he shaved. This wasn't the Eugene Fitzherbert everyone knew.

As he looked at the sad excuse of a man, a tear fell from his eye, trailing down his cheek. He didn't even bother to wipe it, ashamed of himself. Why wasn't he enough for her? Maybe he wasn't enough for anyone. His own parents didn't want him, tossing him in an orphanage before he was two weeks old.

Suddenly, his house phone rang, bringing him back out of his thoughts. He hadn't thought about his worth after he met her, but bad habits die hard. "Hi Eugene, it's Naveen. I just wanted to check on you. Usually you at least respond. Bye."

Eugene frowned, knowing that he should have told them that he wasn't going, but then they would try to coax him outside. They would beg him, offering to buy his drinks to help get her off his mind. But there wasn't a whiskey strong enough to forget her stunning green eyes, her sweet voice and gentle touch.

"Eugene! Where are you at? Can you at least answer the phone? You're scaring us half to death!" Jack exclaimed. Eugene pushed the button, ending his call. At least they would know he was listening to them.

He pulled a lawn chair onto his deck, using all the energy he had left. He figured that since it was still nice outside, it would be nice to enjoy the sweet summer night. He decided to think about the positives, trying to make himself feel better. He wasn't hungover, but he still wasn't over her.

The crickets chirped and the fireflies came to life. He watched the nature show, trying to think of more positives. He could be under some neon lights with his buddies, getting high on who knows what. Thankfully, he stayed home. Besides the pain of a heart break, he didn't feel anything.

He grab his old wood guitar, hanging it over his shoulder. He hadn't played in a long time. He was currently all messed up and strung out from the long, depressing day. He did the only thing he knew how to do to relax. He took a deep breath, and let his fingers strum. He shut his eyes and let his voice make a song of his own, expressing his sorrow and heart break.

"No, I'm not out there getting high underneath some neon lights. Ain't no whiskey strong enough to make things right. I'm just getting over another sober Saturday night." As he sang, a soft, gentle tear dripped off his cheek, landing on the worn out guitar. Music was the only way to escape his pain and sorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~