Chapter Five: The Allegro Allegory

Kind of a filler chapter, but this gives me an oppurtunity to explore characters.

---

"Cas!" A sleeping Cassandra was woken up to a beating of pillows. She grumbled and pulled her covers over her head.

"Cas? Oh come one, your bestie has been gone the whole break and you can't wake up for her?!"  

Cassandra muttered something under her breath and peeked over her covers towards her ebony haired roommate, Mirabella Angelthorn. She preferred to be called Mira. Mira was considered Cassandra's most trusted friend, equal to or almost to their other friend. Mira must've returned from Brazil at about 3 in the morning. Her sunkissed skin was evidence for her vacation. Cassandra smiled faintly and retorted, "Fine, welcome back, now shut up."

"Ugh, you're so mean!" Mira returned her pillows to her own bed and started to unpack. 

Cassandra felt too much glee to return to sleep and shuffled out of bed, "Fine. I'll help you, don't bother asking." She started to go through Mira's stuff and organizing them around the room.

Mira snorted, "So were there any cute new guys?"

Cassandra nearly knocked over Mira's picture frame on the dresser, "Um, I found most of them irritating."

"So most of them were cute?" Mira retired from organizing and sat on her bed. Cassandra sighed and sat back in her own bed.

"Well, according to your tastes, maybe. Some aren't even in our grade! You know I'm not up for flirting or that relationship crap," Cassandra crossed her legs and sighed.

"It kind of sounds like you mingled with some newbies and totally regretted it," Mira pointed out.

"Ugh, let me spill all the details. I should've totally ignored them," Both started to gossip about their winter break experiences for about half an hour.

"....So that's why there's a couple new ribbons there," Mira flicked her hazel green eyes towards Cassandra's bulletin board reserved specially for ribbons and other awards.

"And I can't believe this Nancy girl challenged me. I barely even saw her at the gymkhana. I hope she's at Silverglade so I don't have to cooperate with her," Cassandra tapped her fingers together.

"Ha, looks like you had to deal with a lot. I have to say poisoning her was a bit too far," Mira stuck her tongue out for emphasis, "My only problem was my lack of Portugeuse. Do you know how frustrating it is to have both my parents speak it fluently?"

"You have no idea, AND you shouldn't have taken French!" Cassandra giggled and shot her Shetland stuffed animal towards Mira, "Go organize yourself, I need to sleep. Don't forget that school's tomorrow."

Mira groaned and retreated to her things, "I cannot believe they give us only a day to get used to Jorvik."

Cassandra's smile disappeared once she turned over to her side. She felt guilty for not sharing what happened at the office. Who knows what would've happened if she decided to confess about everything. She had been lingering over the times where she did something incredibly wrong yet rarely got in trouble.

Maybe the headmistress was behind it? Despite the lights being on and Mira being in the room, Cassandra shuddered at the thought. She had instructed herself to just stay out of trouble for now and focus more on her studies and riding. It would probably seem odd to her friends if she started to tone down her snarkiness. Right?

---

"Oh, wow, he's gorgeous," Cassandra stood next to Summerbelle in Jorvik Stables' huge arena as her eyes examined a statuesque Andalusian stallion. Its sheer black mane and tail were wavy, and its medium grey coat was polished to a gleam.