Chapter Three

The night went on, blinking lights, loud music and shouting to hear one another. Despite everything he had said, every thing he had complained about and all the things he claimed he hated about the night, Sherlock Holmes was enjoying himself. Immensely.

He liked John a lot. Very, very much so. He found it easy to be himself around John. He was nice and non-judgmental. A perfect fit for Sherlock.

So now, a group of twelve outcasts (Sherlock and John included) were sitting at the back of the hall, playing a game of spin the bottle. Quite childish, you might say, but none of them were completely sober, and so what? They were having fun.

It was John's turn to spin the bottle and everyone settled their laughter to see who it would land on. There was a collective gasp as it stopped between Sherlock and the girl with red hair from earlier.

''It's Sherlock!"

''No, it's Sarah!"

John gave a sheepish smile and shrugged. '' Who do I kiss?"

Sherlock opened his mouth to say  not  to kiss him, when Sarah butted in.

''Well, you've already kissed me, so you have to kiss Sherlock, now!"

John's eyes flickered across Sherlock's face, then down to the floor. They were sat in a circle and Sherlock was seated right beside John.

''I only kiss people if I have their consent.''

Sherlock felt himself blush, and he hoped it didn't show because of the darkened hall. He tried a shrug. ''I don't mind much.''

John looked up at Sherlock. ''Okay,then...''

Sherlock shuffled a little closer to John. John gave a shaky laugh and closed the space between their mouths. Sherlock felt himself blush once again, but he kissed his new roommate back, feeling a hand cup his cheek.

John heard people let out an 'awww'  around him, but he didn't break the kiss just yet. Sherlock was...soft and gentle and John would guess, maybe a little inexperienced, but that definitely did not mean it wasn't enjoyable.

''Get a room!" Someone shouted, causing John and Sherlock to bring themselves out of their moment.

Sherlock quickly pulled away, sliding from John, his face burning up. John cleared his throat and looked to Sherlock. ''Uh...your go.''

''Um...'' Sherlock stood. ''I think I...Bathroom.'' he mumbled, walking off.

''Ha!'' Sarah laughed, reaching across and playfully tapping John. ''You're not that bad, are you?''

John tried a laugh, feeling unsure of myself. He turned back to the company fully, yet watched Sherlock walk off out of the corner of his eye, trying to forget the butterflies he felt.

Sherlock splashed his face with water and looked up into the mirror. He'd locked the bathroom door so he could get a moment of peace. 

''No,'' Sherlock muttered, looking himself in the eye. ''You know what happened last time.''

There was a banging on the door and Sherlock gave a small jump. He dried his face off and tried to stand straight. The drink made him feel unsteady and incredibly slow. 

''Come on! Open up!'' Came a woman's voice. 

Sherlock raised an eyebrow and opened the door. ''This is the men's-''

Sherlock stopped as he found himself staring down at Sarah and John, holding hands. Giddy. Excited. 

''Oh. Right. I'll get out of your way.''