~Twelve~

Your POV

My alarm began to ring is loathing tone as I reached out my arm and slammed it off, a small echo filling the room. I refused to move out of my sleeping position: one arm underneath my pillow and my head, the other in front of me holding another pillow, part of my left leg hanging off the bed and the other stretching in the opposite direction. As strange as it looked, it was surprisingly comfortable.

I remained still, keeping my eyes closed in an effort to fall back asleep. I then heard my door slowly open as a little light from the other room began to pour in, brightening the atmosphere of my chambers. Out of curiosity, I continued to pretend that I was still asleep. Light footsteps crept across the ground before stopping near my bedside. I could tell that it was Levi checking in on me, which was sweet of him, but definitely not something I would see him doing.

He only stood near the bed for a few seconds before I could faintly hear his footsteps exit my bedroom. I opened my eyes and glanced around, wondering if he did something probably to my nightstand to organize it. Honestly, after the last incident where he cleaned my entire room while I was asleep along with my bed when I was in it, I've gotten a little suspicious whenever he enters my room during my slumber.

I sat up and reached above my head to stretch out my arms and back. I left my bed and went on to do my normal routine in the morning: get dressed and get  breakfast. I know that I was given the day off after everything that happened, but we can't put this investigation on hold while the killer is still out there. If anything, I wanted to work on it like crazy to put that monster in a cage where they belong.

I put on my uniform and grabbed some of the leads that I found a few weeks ago before heading into the other room. I placed the files on the small table and went into the kitchen to get some food. I didn't eat much of anything, just some (f/d) and a piece or two of toast. I wanted to get this case done as quickly as possible before we lost someone else, like my brother for instance or someone we don't even know. I just wanted this all to end.

Levi turned his head towards me as he sat on his bed, giving me a face of concern and confusion.

"What are you doing?" He asked cautiously, noticing that I had the case files.

"Working. I can't put this off, and I don't want someone else to pay the price since we couldn't find the Grim Reaper." I told him almost absentmindedly while digging through the papers in search of connections or suspicious behavior.

"But shouldn't you be taking the day off?"

"I know, but I'm fine. I need to stop this person before something like this happens to someone else or my brother."

He sighed and looked away, not having the energy to argue with my point. I doubt that he could argue against my logic either; it was concrete and our job.

I continued for minutes on end, time feeling like it flew by as if it were just a few seconds. I noticed something that seemed out of place. Most of the suspects on our list had clean record and seemed to try and avoid the crime life. The ones who did have criminal records and were the most likely of them all couldn't have committed the murders because they were already in prison.

Then there was more of the Melsburg family. Their records were extremely clean, almost angelic, and I do commend them for keeping it like that and abiding the law. However, what wasn't adding up was the fact that their company Exosin was always in the news, and not for the right reason. It was always either a scam or under investigation, but then quickly dismissed as if everything was fine. Strangely enough, some type of crime, whether it be minor or severe, always occurred after an accusation on them. It all just seemed to peculiar to leave ignored.