Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

"Attention passengers, we will be landing at Murtala Muhammed International Airport in 10 minutes."

 Dami's P.O.V

I couldn't believe it had been 12 hours already, surprisingly, I didn't want the flight to end. Ekene was part of the reason, but I was also nervous. I was starting a new chapter in my life, and I didn't know what to expect. Sure, Nigeria is home, but at the same time it had been so long since I had been back home and from what I had heard, everything was so different now. I guess i could only hope for the best.

 I wasn't looking forward to saying goodbye Ekene. Who would have thought that I would thought that I would meet someone as amazing as he was, only to have to say goodbye just shortly after.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 When the plane landed, I prolonged the process of gathering my things. I kept watching him, hoping he would say something, maybe ask for a number or something. He looked so focused on getting his carry-no luggage from above and even after he helped me bring my bag down, there was still no mention of us ever hanging out again. I was a bit saddened by this, he seemed to like me. But maybe I just let my imagination get the best of me.

Ekene walked with me as we left the plane, he made small talk about how excited he was to be home, i wasn't really paying attention. When we reached the baggage claim area, we stood, staring at each other awkwardly.

"Well, it was nice meeting you Dami." He said.

I kept an eye out for my bags. "It was nice meeting you too" I said, with what I hoped was a genuine tone. I thought about asking him for his number, or maybe suggesting we hang out sometime but I decided against it. I didn't want to seem pushy. Eventually I saw found my bags.

 "Well I gotta go now." I stretched out my hand. I wanted to hug him but it didn't seem right. "Goodbye Ekene." 

He smiled and I caught a glimpse of his gorgeous pearly whites. He shook my hand as he said, “goodbye beautiful.”

I waited till after I had turned around to allow myself to blush. I headed for the exit and just as I was about to step out, I turned around to see if he was watching me. He was.

Embarrassed, I gave an awkward wave then left the airport.

I stepped out into the humid weather. I was immediately greeted by the yelling of the bus conductors and the mix of sweat and garbage filled my nostrils. There were yellow busses everywhere, people pushing to catch their busses, some rushing to catch their flights, men negotiation cab fares with the drivers and a mixture of languages all around. I was home.

I saw Dolabomi waving her hands like a lunatic trying to get my attention. She didn’t look happy. I hastily made my way to her.

“Nice of you to finally join us.” She sounded irritated.

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t find my bags.”

She rolled her eyed. “Whatever.”

Out of nowhere, our driver Musa appeared and took my suitcases from me.

“Ah! Madam Dami! Welcome o, how was your flight? I hope it wasn’t too long o! Did you eat or did they just give you those useless airline peanuts of theirs?” He didn’t even let me get a word in before he continued talking.

“I hope its not too hot for you, I know this weather isn’t what you guys are-”

“Musa!” I cut him off. “Its okay ahn! See how you’re just rambling, no comma, no full stop.” I laughed. “I’m fine thank you for asking. How are you? And how are your numerous girlfriends? Or have you finally settled down?”