Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

       I woke up with a massive headache. I was almost thankful for the headache, at least it distracted me from the pain in my heart. I heard my phone ring, it was Noelle's ringtone. Her perky voice filled my ear when I answered the phone.

 "Hola mammita! Omg you will never gu-"

 "We broke up." I interjected

 "-ess what” she stopped mid-sentence. “Say what now?"

 "We broke up." I repeated

 "I'm coming over babe" Noelle said, she hung up without waiting for a response.

 10 minutes later she was consoling me in bed. Tissues everywhere, my bed looked like a white cloud.

 "You know this is for the best though," she said, "distance is hard."

 "I know, but why does it feel like a piece of me has been stolen from me?" I asked in between sobs.

 Noelle sighed. "Babe I'm sorry. I know this is hard, but you’ll get through it."

 "How Elle? How?!" I was getting frustrated, I felt like she didn't understand me. I was leaving for Nigeria in two days and my life felt completely wrong.

 "I don't know babe. This is just momentary sadness but I promise you the feeling won't be there forever."

 I looked at her inquisitively, "You promise?

 She smiled.

 "I promise babe. And you never know, your African could be waiting for you back home."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Finally moving day arrived. Our boxes had been shipped, the house had been leased and I had said goodbye to my friends. Elle and Chinenye (my other best friend) followed us to the airport. We didn't talk much, but the silence was nice. I thought about all the crazy adventures we had shared since I had moved here. 10 years only seemed like a few days now.

We moved to Atlanta when I was 7 years old (if you didn't figure it out yet, i'm 17.) My dad decided to bring us all here for "better opportunities" as he put it. So me, my dad, my mom, Dolabomi, Simisola and Bolaji packed up our bags and flew to the other side of the country to begin a new life.

It was weird here at first. Everything was so different. I could still remember my first day of gym class, it was pure torture. We didn't have physical education as a class back in Nigeria. I guess they thought recess was good enough. So imagine my surprise when I got to class that day and saw the kids running laps around the gym. I just couldn't fathom why they thought that it made sense to force kids to embarrass themselves in front of their classmates. Although I grew to dislike that class, I won't say it was a complete fail, because that's where I met Chinenye.

I was surprised when I found another Nigerian in my school, but I was also quite relieved. With the amount of change I was going through at that time it was nice to have someone that felt like home around. Chinenye had a glorious afro, she had a striking appearance that involuntarily grabbed your attention. She was tall and slender but curvaceous. She looked quite mean, a no-nonsense type of girl, I made a mental note to stay out of her way.

Everything was great until one Friday afternoon. Gym class was over and every one was rushing to go change and catch the bus home. I was particularly excited because it was my dad's birthday and we were going out to celebrate that evening. In my excitement, I quickly changed and as i was opening my locker, i heard a big thud followed by a stream of curses.