Part 3

Crimson Confidante

England x Vampire! Reader

Ch.3 - Explanation

Compared to the last two days... today was unbearably boring. Fremont, Washington was supposed to be a lively and up and coming place, but not today apparently.

The rain was pouring down heavily as it usually did in the Evergreen state during the early months of the new year. Few people roamed the near empty streets accompanied by umbrellas and raincoats to dry to stay as dry as possible. From the window, one would be grateful to be indoors and dry.

However, the blond employee at Ophelia's Books seemed to want to dash out into the cold and wet weather as to cure his boredom and possibly find the one person whom he knew would make his life a bit more interesting. The (eye color) vampire from yesterday morning was still on Arthur's mind as he stacked another novel onto the shelf.

"Arthur!" A voice called out and he turned to see his supervisor Antonio waving from behind him trying to get his attention for who knew how long. "Finally, are you okay today? You seem a bit... out of it..."

"Y-yeah but have a bit on my mind is all." Arthur answered back, now turning to face the Spaniard.

"Hmmm okay..." Antonio called back. "Also, can you watch the front for a while, I'm going on my break."

"Sure sure." Arthur waved him off and made his way to the front of the store where the checkout counter was. Sighing a bit Arthur took in his location once again: a small 3 story bookstore near the older district of Fremont. The upstairs and downstairs were lined with shelves while the middle section housed the entrance and access to the top and bottom levels. Upstairs also had complimentary coffee and tea for those wanting a quiet place to read now that cafes had started to become noisy.

Arthur adored this small shop, it was almost the perfect place for a struggling author like himself to get a steady cash flow while he attempted to write something eye catching. He had originally decided to apply for employment for two reasons: the first, he always was intoxicated by the smell of books and the feeling of paper on his skin. Secondly, the shop's name was one of his favorite Shakespearean characters. Ophelia from Hamlet always struck a chord with him in his reads of the young Danish princes struggles. Maybe it was her devotion to Hamlet or maybe it was her self sacrifice? But either way, Arthur saw a lot of himself in Ophelia, though he would never admit it to anyone. It was far too embarrassing.

And while the shop was nearly perfect... one thing ruined it.

"HEY! I made some churros! Do you want some?!" Antonio's voice boomed back into Arthur's skull, causing the male to groan.

"No thanks... HEY!" Arthur shouted nearly grabbing the tanner skinned man by his shirt collar. "You are getting cinnamon and crumbs all over the books! Go eat that upstairs!"

Antonio laughed and brushed the crumbs and falled spice bits into his hands before dumping it into the trash can underneath the register. Arthur mumbled quietly as he attempted to clean off the copy of "Dracula" he had been reading throughout the day.

"Been immersed in that huh?" Antonio commented leaning over the counter to peer at the book.

"Hmm yes." Arthur responded.

"I never really got into it."

"You've read it?"

Antonio's face gave Arthur an unimpressed reaction. "Que? Do you think I don't read? Look where I work amigo!"

"I didn't mean it like that you bloke..."

Antonio chuckled. "Sure sure, but yes, I have."

"Well what do you like then? Don Quixote?"