Chapter 15

I couldn't sleep this time. Knowing what Demos said to me in that parking lot has got me going crazy. Plus, I finished my Twinkies and chips an hour ago so not even that could distract me now. I should tell Elijah, but I can't bring myself to do it. He has tried so hard to stay above all of this and just end this curse. It would kill him to know that he's been two steps behind this whole time. I readjust myself in the seat again and Elijah sighs loudly.

"What is it?" He asks without taking his eyes off the road.

"What is what?" I try to keep my voice steady but I'm a pretty shitty liar.

"You have been tossing and turning for the longest time. Usually, you just fall asleep, but if you can't that means something is up. What is it?"

"I have not!" I say quickly, but then I just shake my head. "Look, I've spent hours in this car, long hours, and I just want to get out. I want to have a moment where we aren't being chased or attacked."

"Well-" Elijah starts, but I put up my hand.

"I know, but a girl can dream." He shrugs and we continue the drive. 

In the passing time, we chit-chat a bit, and listen to music, but mostly it's quiet.  I don't know if I should start a conversation half the time, but this car ride feels like an eternity. Don't talk and I'm bored, talk and I tell him what Demos said. I hate this. We pull off the highway and I realize I haven't been paying much attention to our surroundings. This place is beautiful. 

"I know where she'll be, we can make it there in ten minutes," Elijah says quickly. Ten minutes and this car ride will be over. Thank god.

"So what's the plan," I say as I turn to him.

"Plan?"

"Yeah. How do we go about getting to her? How do we get her to help us?"

"Well," he says as he scratches the back of his head, "I figured I'd tell her who you were and she'd be compelled to help."

"Elijah!"

"Look Tyler, we are running out of time. None of this has helped us get any closer to Simon and Calliah, and I'm getting tired. So I don't have a plan, just a goal." He pulled into a parking spot next to a sidewalk. "Welcome to the French Quarter. Now come on." There was a line of shops, some looked like they were toy stores, while others looked not so friendly. "Up here." He pointed at a shop close to the end of the block.

I followed closely behind him but I looked around. The city had this feel to it; a sort of energy. There were tourists everywhere. People were stopping to take pictures, music was being played loudly, and there were even some dancers in the street. Even in black and white, the city felt alive. Elijah entered the shop first, then motioned for me to follow.

"Welcome ta Hex. What can I do ya for?" A voice said from inside.

"I'm looking for an old friend," Elijah spoke up.

"Well, we got spells and potions for tha kinda of ting. Most people come in here askin 'bout True Sight, a change-up would be fittin." A young lady appears from behind a shelf with her hands on her hips.

"No, I'm looking for the owner," Elijah says quickly.

"Well ya found 'er." The young lady peers behind Elijah to get a look at me. "And who you are miss thang?"

"You aren't Regina," Elijah says a little angry. "I need to speak with her, it's important."

The lady tensed up and took a step back.

"Ya'lls ain't got no business here wit my mama. Now ya needa find the door and get goin'." She starts pushing us out and Elijah grabs her wrist.

"I need to speak to Regina. About the curse."