Matiquestinn and Chill

Celestar woke up to somebody shaking him vigorously. Turning over, he opened his eyes and saw Nevay's face, silhouetted against the setting sun. The soon-to-be fading light caught the frizzed-up strands of his hair and turned them blue.

"You're awake," he said, stupidly.

Nevay smiled at him, albeit a little tiredly. "Yes," he said. "And now you must be, too. We have arrived."

"Oh," said Celestar, and got up.

They were in a little bend in the river where some large rocks hid them from the rest of the water. Kaia was busy tying the boat to the shore. To the east, Matiquestinn stood tall.

There was something Celestar liked about seeing the city from far away. Maybe it was the palace. The keep soared up from the walls, all its glass and metal parts glittering indigo with the setting sun.

Excitement flared through his system with the sight of it. Celestar surged out of the boat, feet firmly planting themselves in the marshy soil below with a squelch.

Kaia noticed this and smiled at him. "We're finally here," she said, a sense of wonder about the words.

"And we're not even dead yet!" Celestar laughed. "This is beginning to look like the easy part."

"That would be ideal," said Nevay. "But it is yet unwise to make assumptions. First, we have to get in. Then, we have to find our people. Finally, we have to get out. When we are safely on our way, that is when we can say it was hard or easy."

"Oh, let us hope," admonished Kaia.

"Very well," said Nevay. "Let us be on our way, then. Would you lead the way, Celestar?"

Beaming, Celestar jogged a few steps toward the city. "Come on, everyone!" He waved an arm after himself, and headed off.

Matiquestinn's wall was high. Pennants hung from each turret fluttered in the wind, a myriad of purples and reds. The gate was heavily guarded. Soldiers milled around it, carrying tall pikes. Others stood in silent vigilance.

At Celestar's side, Nevay whistled. "That will be hard to get through."

"We should scout around the city," said Kaia. "Every town has ways to get in without being noticed. My kind will help us if they can."

Celestar looked at her with fresh eyes. Kaia knew what she was doing.

Aloud, he said, "We should wait for night. That way, we can get close enough to the wall to notice any entrances."

Nevay and Kaia nodded, and once again, they settled in for the wait.

Hey everyone, thanks for reading that last chapter! I am so grateful for all of you~~~(I have no idea what you wrote I can't do this RIP)

(I have no idea what you wrote I can't do this RIP)