~3~

"Nightmare! Nightmare, do you copy?" Rever's voice asked from his phone-like device that was specially made for heroes like him. The ID read 4376 which was his base where he had to report any caught villains. He had a perfect streak except for Avare.

"Y-Yeah, I do," James groggily woke up.

"There have been sightings of the Crimson Avenger crawling through a bedroom window," his sidekick cried.

"Address?" he asked and began getting his uniform together.

"You're close to the building. It's apartment 707 on Holly Street," the call ended.

James paled. That's where he lived. There was no Crimson Avenger in his room and the only light that could've been on at one in the morning was...

He pulled on his black cape and walked across the hallway. Slowly, he turned the knob and opened the door. Kennedy's sheets had an open corner which just meant that she wasn't in the bed. Allen had told him that. His eyes snapped to the window where he heard something clang on the fire escape. The all too familiar colors of gray and black travelled out the window. He slowly stalked toward it and Avare's face popped in.

"Oops!" she giggled and picked up a red sword that laid on the bed. "Hey Crimson, we've got company!"

"What?" the familiar melancholy and hollow voice of the Crimson Avenger asked. She caught the sword that Avare hurriedly tossed to her. "Marvelous to see you here."

The three of them in a room together was a very tense occasion. The Crimson Avenger wasn't assigned to Nightmare or he to her but they always had their run-ins. He always caught her but she always escaped from Belle Reve, a top class jail for powerful villains like the two in Kennedy Black's room.

Their flip side identities were different from that of their day personalities. There was Kennedy Black who was afraid of darkness and heights. She spoke very few words to people. Regardless of how well they knew her. Unless it was her brother. If someone insults her, she would take it or quietly insult them right back. But as Avare, she was able to send out sarcasm like there's no tomorrow. She giggled a lot and was suggestive about a lot of things. She had contemplated calling herself Vixen but decided that Avare sounded cooler. And she said that. Avare was able to control darkness and gravity. Which she wasn't scared of as a villain.

James Barnes, after taking a class with his best friend, realized that he was terrible at interpreting dreams, even though he had great ones. According to himself. He was always the one to start a conversation. On the other dark hand of Nightmare, he had the capability to inflict a person's worst nightmares on themselves. He sounds like a villain but he had a heart of gold. As James, it was one of stone and ice. Says his fangirling entourage at least.

Finally, the Crimson Avenger. Her full name was Jordan Westing. In reality, she was the class clown for her immaturity and klutz-like movements. You could hand her a half full glass of water and she'd manage to spill in on herself within ten seconds. Under her villain alias, she had remarkable precision. The swords she dueled with required that cat-like gracefulness. If there was any hesitation or slip up, she could kill herself with her own weapons. She was stoic around Avare because the ravenette, who she found out was really a white haired girl who just got out of college, did all the talking.

"I love playing games of cat and mice," Avare squealed. "Au revoir!"

"You're not getting away this time," he scowled. "Dormir!"

"On va voir, Monsieur Pussycat," she giggled and jumped off the roof of the building they had just landed on.

The Crimson Avenger laid passed out and thrashing madly. Nightmare scowled and picked up the sleeping girl. She let out a scream as the hero sighed.