CHAPTER 1

10 YEARS AGO

A girl and two boys were talking to each other. Being members of the families of the heavenly commanders, the boys were introduced to each other at boring official meetings during the gatherings of the heavenly commanders, their families and the Tsuchimikado family. The girl was the eldest child of the Head exorcist and head of the Tsuchimikado family. During discussions of S-class missions the family members were sent out and the meetings, led by the head exorcist, continued. 

During one such event, a Tsuchimikado, an Unomiya and an Ikaruga met. At first the Unomiya was mistaken for a girl due to his bed-head making him look like a girl with a boyish charm. The Ikaruga was thought of as a nerd despite his age. Not that he wasn't. The girl was a beautiful ravenette who resembled her mother greatly. Their meetings were not so often, but they formed a close bond as they got to know each other. The adults left the children to their own business. 

The red-haired boy, Ikaruga Shimon, told his new friends about the death of his parents, how he was adopted and how he met his younger cousin, whose name he had mispronounced, which led to the entire household calling her the mispronounced name with affection. He also talked about his idol and teacher, Amawaka Seigan, the heavenly commander 'Byakko' and the ninth head of the Amawaka house.

The ravenette, Tsuchimikado Aria, talked about her father, who had a cheerful attitude at home and sometimes between colleagues, her mother who was a kind-hearted woman who cooked world-class food and her brother, who slept on her mom's lap during the Exorcist Union's meetings and her love for chocolates and cakes. 

The boy with heterochromia eyes, Unomiya Tenma, complained about the uselessness of such meetings and his father dragging him along to meet other families and how such time could be wisely spent by eating dangos. 

The common thing about the trio was the intense training they got from their families and other teachers. Training with the heads of the Tsuchimikado, Ikaruga and Unomiya heads was not a cup of tea. On top of it if your father's old friends 'happen' to visit, then let's just say that life became a living hell. But all three of them were prodigies of their generation. It was quite a shock to see the levels of their power. The three were soon known as the 'Heavenly Trio' and took on missions that were deemed impossible for exorcists their age. These missions made sure that they were mentally and physically strong and further strengthened their bonds.

The happiness between the trio started to break with the death of the Tsuchimikado matriarch, Aria's mother. This was the biggest tragedy that the main family of the Tsuchimikados ever faced. Even the all-time cheerful Arima shed tears. Everyone showed sympathy but only Narumi, Seigen and Arata could pull him out of the darkness. After all, they were old friends for nothing. The siblings almost fell into depression and hadn't been for Tenma and Shimon, they would've isolated themselves. 

4 YEARS AGO

The Heavenly Trio became the Heavenly Quadro, with Aria's brother, Arimori, joining them. Despite his age his talents were too outstanding to avoid. The improvements and achievements of the Heavenly Quadro were shocking. Ikaruga Shimon rose to the new position of 'Suzaku' among the heavenly commanders and Unomiya Tenma became the strongest heavenly commander 'Kijin' and the head of the Unomiya house with Aria rivaling him in terms of power. Arimori was on par with the heavenly commanders. Over all the strongest exorcists were the Head Exorcist, the Heavenly Quadro which included two heavenly commanders and two Tsuchimikados. This also marked the day when Shimon was named 'Bird-maru' by Tenma and Tenma was called 'Squirrel'.

The seriousness of the case of Ijika Yuuto rivaled that of the basaras. Kicking the Adashino heiress out of the island was another matter. The Adashino name was tainted and slowly, the members left the island. Amawaka Seigen, who returned the year before due to the results of the Hinatsuki Tragedy was somewhere in between depression and guilt. With the support of his ex-wife, Yukari Otomi and his old friends, he was able to regain himself. Life continued with such sad events and small happy events.