CHAPTER 14

The weather wasn't the best that day. The sky had darkened and clouds loomed over the Tsuchimikado island. One would expect a few crows to caw as they flew around, but today was an exception. Even the crows were afraid to leave their nests.

The yin energy leaking from the barriers had spread around the island. It was as the island had turned into Magano for the yin energy started reminding Rokuro and Mayura of the environment of the Magano they used to go to when they were back in the mainland. 

The Ujii family had a hell lot of trouble preventing miasma leaks, but hey managed to keep the impurities away. A few low-leveled impurities had managed to get in. The Ioroi family got busy with exorcising such impurities. Enmadou Rokuro was also there and he was enthusiastic, for which Ioroi Narumi praised him every now and then.

AT THE AMAWAKA ESTATE

Mayura had been lectured tired by Yuzuru and the other Amawaka family members to have confidence in herself to lead then into battle.

"We would be honored if you let us fight and die by your side." Saying so Yuzuru had vowed to the tenth Amawaka head. The other members followed suit. Mayura had finally gathered he courage and had stood up.

"We will fight and live together." She spoke with determination. Her sweet demeanour had always reminded them of her mother, but her inward bravery was also partly inherited from her father whom they regarded with respect.

"Nice." Amawaka Seigen had spoken from the door. Everybody was shocked to see him after so long. In front of him was Amawaka Yukari.

"Are you finally together now?" Mayura inquired. She wanted her parents to remarry and for the three of them to live under the same roof.

"Well, your father and I didn't get divorced in the first place." Yukari spoke. That came as a thunderclap to everyone. "I had to send him the divorce papers but he forgot to sign them and send them back."

"What do you mean by 'had to send him the papers'? Were you forced to do it?" Yuzuru inquired.

"Yeah. Seigen pestered me to send them but in the end he was the one who forgot to sign them. I forgot about it too." Yukari sighed.

"What's with that sigh? Are you disappointed that we're still married?" Seigen snorted.

"I'm disappointed that you are still irresponsible when it comes to anything other than exorcism." Yukari sighed.

"You guys go and save the world. I have a son-in-law to meet." Yukari sighed and walked inside the house.

"What the... Which son-in-law are you talking about?" Seigen groaned.

"The red-haired boy who was your student." Yukari replied.

"That son-in-law has to save the world too." Mayura spoke coolly. Yukari sighed with disappointment.

"I hope you have an extra exorcist uniform for me." Yukari turned to Yuzuru, who gave her a rare smile. Both women walked away from the grand hall.

"When this ends, I want an explanation." Seigen glared at Mayura who was totally unaffected as she shrugged her shoulders. The others could only watch as two women had Seigen wrapped around their fingers.

LATER AT THE IKARUGA ESTATE

The entire island had switched to defense mode. A barrier covered the entire island, separating it from the rest of the world to prevent the yin energy from spreading onto the rest of the world. A barrier had been formed around the residential area. A third, stronger, barrier formed especially around the Ikaruga estate which housed the host of Kuzonoha, Ikaruga Sayo.

Before the barriers started forming, the Amawaka clan members had reached the Ikaruga estate. Arima had ordered the two clans to stay together to protect Sayo. She was surprisingly calm about the whole ordeal unlike other children of her age who were crying. Neither did she complain nor did she refuse to cooperate. She understood the situation, or at least pretended to.

Shimon and Mayura were surprised at the sudden change in her behavior. A spiritual wave emitted from Sayo all of a sudden. It was continuous and her body glowed as her tattoos became visible to the world. Their pattern changed and her skirt and top changed into a large white dress.

Kuzonoha.

Kuzonoha had taken over the child's body, but she remained quiet. When Arima was informed of this he told them to let them be and revealed that he knew that Kuzonoha would appear before the battle, but she would remain silent.

AT THE HEADQUARTERS (SAME TIME)

The other families were busy preparing for war. They were gathering weapons, dressing into their most comfortable battle gear and making sure to avoid anything that might be useless or distracting.

But Tenma was already distracted. He had changed into his exorcist clothes to work. He had to lead the Unomiya family for the war. He had to devise strategies. But he couldn't.

Aria.

The only reason. She kissed him and he felt good. Their lips were dry but soon enough it got wet.

The door suddenly knocked and it pulled him out of his crazy thoughts. He shouted a 'come in' before he pretended to check a report which he held for more than twenty minutes. He was still stuck at the first page.

"Tenma..." Now that voice always capture his attention. He could swear that he would recognize that voice even if he was in a crowd surrounded by noisy people.

"Aria..." He didn't say anything further and they looked into each other's eyes.

She had changed her clothes. She was wearing her black exorcist uniform which was a long loose-fitting dress which reached till her thighs, shorts underneath and boots.

Tenma approved of her uniform because it didn't show much skin. Tenma disapproved of her uniform because it didn't hide her beauty which he wanted to be hidden from everyone except him.

"Tenma, please don't get distracted. This is a war." He started walking towards her. "We are fighting for our lives and..."

"Two minutes." He whispered before he kissed her. She would've fallen if Tenma hadn't held her do tightly. She snaked her arms through his shoulders and...

"Get in here!" Shizuru yelled as she entered the room and stood beside a blushing Aria. They immediately parted but everyone had seen them.

"That's disgusting." Arimori snorted.

"Are you talking about yourself?" Tenma retorted.

"You are kissing my sister when the world is about to end." Arimori gagged.

"Why shouldn't I? If the world is about to end then I should make the most of it." Tenma

"What do you mean by 'the most of it?" Shizuru teasingly inquired.

"Whatever it may be, it is none of your business." Arimori was definitely horrified. The fact that he had started hanging out with Rokuro, a pervert, didn't help him remain innocent in such situations.

Tenma's phone started ringing and he answered the call. A few seconds later, he was wide-eyed. After hanging up, he ran towards the door and pulled Aria with him to wherever he ran off to. The others immediately followed him and they stopped at Arima's room. Upon entering the room, they saw Enmadou Rokuro holding a girl in his arms as both of them cried.

Arima nodded for them to come forth. As they walked forward, the girl looked at them and they couldn't look away from her. Her face was bruised and her body was battered. Her clothes were torn and she was dangerously thin. She looked so weak, so thin, so fragile. As if she would break if the wind blew.

"I think Aria is the only one who hasn't even heard about her. This girl is..."

AUTHOR'S NOTE: YOOO HOOO HOOO Guess who's about to make her debut in this story. 
WARNING: I am gonna make the next chapter very very very sad. So prepare your hankies and tissues because... You'll find out when the next chapter gets updated.