Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Lisbon made her way to a little café near the park Jane had run off to. God why does he always act like such a child? She has a little bag with her that contains some of the best tea she could come by, it was a peace treaty after all, next to the tea was his criminal record just in case things got out of hand. She wasn't into blackmail but if it meant bringing the psychic back then that's what she would do.

"Your coffee ma'am."

"Oh thanks."

It's her favorite: hazelnut coffee and she takes a sip, savoring the warm soothing taste. She breathes in the scent and looses herself in the peace of heaven called coffee. In fact, she's so happy she doesn't notice Jane entering the café and sitting at her table.

"I've never seen someone so attached to coffee before."

She snaps back to reality and shoots a glare at him quickly reverting back to her hardened self.

"You ran away."

His eyes have flicker of annoyance.

"You can't make me go back."

Great, so they're on the same battlefield.

"Jane. She's your daughter you can't just run away and never come back."

He starts to whine.

"Oh what is this? You're going to blackmail me back to that place?"

He imitates her by crossing his arms and glaring back.

"I have conditions."

"Oh great this is what I need, a charlatan with a ego."

He frowns and she smiles.

"I'm not a charlatan."

"Alright fine so you aren't a charlatan, what are the conditions mentalist?"

"First off, she's going to school."

"She'll be in danger."

He ignores the statement and simply waves her off.

"Secondly I get to leave whenever I want. No more being trapped in that house. And thirdly you are going to tell me everything you know."

"Really? No money? No ticket out?"

"Oh please don't compare me to marks this isn't some American Greed story."

She scoffs at him.

"You've failed to notice one important detail though."

"Oh no I've won Lisbon this is my game now."

She leans over the table.

"I'm a cop Jane. Do you think you can fool me? I have enough dirt on you to put you in prison for 20 years. Besides, unless you know how to fight back you get to go home in handcuffs."

"You would arrest me? Wouldn't my daughter find out? Besides this is the WPP shouldn't I be invisible and shouldn't you be guarding me? Red John will find out about me and her if you do that."

She groans in complaint knowing that this is a losing battle.

"You know what Jane? I'm not telling you anything, and fine, let her go to school but either you or me will have to do something about leaving her alone. As for you going outside I'm okay with that as long as you have me with you."

He smirks and she raises an eyebrow.

"What?"

"Nothing...you just look so cute when you're stubborn."

He gets up to leave.

"I've already been looking into schools and since you're my bodyguard why don't you come along?"

She follows him out, this was proving to be a very irritating day. He taps her hand lightly when she walks next to him.

"Thank you by the way."

"For what?"

"My daughter for one thing, and the tea that you haven't given me yet."

"You're welcome then."

They get into the Jane's car and he promises to drop her off at her car when they're done. She's not so certain about it so she just absentmindedly looks out the window, knowing that objecting to this would make her a hypocrite.

"Relax, I only wanted to know you better and I can't do that if we're in separate cars."

"I'm not understanding this, do you want to be my friend or do you just want to know about me?"

"Either way the answer is no?"

"Yup."

"...so then lets talk about me. Why don't you want me as your friend?"

"I don't want to be attached to someone with a criminal record."

"Excuse me!?"

"I told you Jane, I have dirt on you. I can't just trust a thief, you'll trick me and even now you're just using me to know more about RJ and how to get in to the CBI. Once you have that then you'll dump me. So no, I already know what your kind is like and I don't want to be to attached. I'm a bodyguard, this is part of my job."

"Innocent until proven guilty Lisbon. And so far I'm innocent. How can you even act like this anyway when you're so caring to my daughter?"

"She's a brave girl who nearly lost everything, she deserves some attention. And it isn't just me it's Grace to. Besides I can relate."

He begins to speculate.

"Oh really? You were kidnapped by a serial killer?"

"My dad was abusive. Sophie was abusive. Only hit her once but it did enough damage. So, we relate."

There was silence for a while, he never thought she'd unearth anything from her past.

"Sorry for the baggage."

"No no it's okay. But I'm not a thief and I was never arrested."

"You do have warrants though."

"...how many?"

"25."

"25!"

She starts laughing at his expression.

"No no you don't have 25 you have 10."

"You are rotten do you know that?"

Looks like they'd be quite a pair.

•••••

Comment! Comment! Comment!