40

The next few days passed uneventfully. I mostly stayed up in my room watching movies and reading. My summer was going to be terrible. I saw that now.

I groaned and shut my book then made my way downstairs. Mom saw me and smiled. "I was wondering when you were coming down," Mom said.

"Kind of got bored," I replied.

"So, are you up for ice cream?"

I smiled. "Of course," I said.

Mom grabbed her keys and smiled. "Well, come on," she said.
××××××
"Wow, this place hasn't changed," Mom said as we walked in.

"True, and they still have the best ice cream, too," I replied.

"I bet. Go take a seat. I'll get the ice cream. The usual, right?"

"You know me too well." I took a seat at the booth, where we always sat at when we used to come. I spotted a familiar face at one of the booths. Ridge's older sister, Lee. I knew her because Kyle was friends with her when they were in high school together.

Mom came back with my ice cream. "Is that Lee McCain?" Mom asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, I didn't know she was back in to-"

I cut myself off when I saw who Lee was with. Lee said something to him, and Ridge turned to face me. I looked away.

"I'm going to go say hi. Wanna come?" Mom asked.

I looked at her. "No, Ridge is over there," I said.

"You can't let him control your life like that," Mom said then made her way over to their booth. I ate my ice cream, glancing over there. Ridge kept his eyes on me then he said something to Lee and my mom.

That's when he made his way over to me. He took a seat in the side opposite to me. "Hello," he said casually.

I didn't say anything to him.

Ridge sighed, "Please, don't ignore me."

I still kept my mouth shut.

He placed his hand on mine, and I yanked it back like he burnt me. Ridge flinched. "I'm sorry," he said.

"I have told you nicely to leave me alone, but now, I'm going to make it clear. I don't want you around me. Stay away from me," I said. Even though I meant it to come out harsh, it sounded like a plea.

Ridge nodded and got up. "You don't know how sorry I am," he said then walked away.

Mom came back to the booth. "What did he say?" Mom asked.

"Nothing," I replied. "It doesn't matter anyway."
××××××
When we got home, I went straight to my room. Tears blurred my vision. I hated this. I couldn't even forget about him for a moment.

When I closed my eyes, I saw his face. When I fell asleep, I dreamed about him. I remember every detail about him, and I hated it. I needed to forget him. Needed not wanted.

I couldn't get hurt again. I couldn't go through this another time. This pain was too much. I needed to forget everuthing. His laugh. His face. His smile. His kiss. I needed to erase him completely.

I locked my door and sat down. The tears fell down like a waterfall, and I gently rocked back and forth. Why was this my life? Why did this happen to me? Why did I fall in love? Better question, why did I believe in love?

The questions swarmed my mind, and I searched for the impossible answers. This wasn't for me. I could solve everyone else's problems, yet I couldn't even solve my own.

My life was this jumbled mess, and I couldn't clean it up. I loved him. I loved him with everything I had, and he had hurt me. Like I said, the second time was the worse, but I hoped that I would one day grow numb to it. I wished I was numb to it right now.