Six

The next day, I returned to my daily routine: lecturing, therapy session with clients, paper works for the foundation. At 7 o'clock Eris called me in the office and we met for dinner. While eating she said, "How are you after seeing James again?" I was surprised by her question. It's been a long time since we talked about him. I took a while before responding. "All's good." 

"Really, though?" Knowing my best friend, she can be hard to convince. "Well, to be honest, initially it wasn't okay. But I guess we already talked it out so I'm fine now." Eris stared at me for a minute then sighed. "Okay... But please take extra caution cause I don't want you to get hurt again." I shook  my head. "Thank you but honestly, there's no need for that."

I became busier as the days roll by; as summer nears and the semester ends, my work piled up. However, I rested on the idea of a vacation because I made plans on visiting our old house for the summer. 

In no time, I found myself in the car on the way to a well-deserved vacation. Our old house rested on a valley near the woods. It was where I grew up and enjoyed my childhood. I remembered how my father and I would fish in the lake during the summer. Or how my mother and I would make flower crowns from her garden at the back of our house. It belonged to a small community where all the good and  happy memories of my childhood rested. That's why I was surprised when I arrived and saw trailers scattered around the town center. There are people that are definitely not from here walking to and from different directions. Also, equipment trucks are everywhere. My curiosity got the best of me so I stopped the car and asked a man who seem to be part of the crew. "Uh, hi. May I ask what's happening around here?" The man looked at me for a while then told me "This place was chosen as a location for a movie we're making." He then walked down the other side of the road. 

I continued to drive until I reached the intersection and took a right. I stopped at Mr. and Mrs. Carson's Mini Mart to buy some items and to say hello. They've been one of my favorite people in this small town. I walked in and found Mr. Carson behind the register. "Hello, Mr. Carson! How are you?" Mr. Carson looked at me for a while and upon realizing who I was his face lit up. "Carly! How are you dear? It's been a long time." I told Mr. Carson that I came for vacation and that I was alone. Mrs. Carson appeared from the back of the store and when she saw me, she wrapped her arms around me. It was nice seeing them, I told them I have to get some ice and toiletries.

 I was busy looking for a specific brand of soap when a familiar voice called to me. "Carly?" I looked up and saw James in a white T-shirt and khaki shorts with his sunglasses on. "James?!What are you doing here?" I beamed.

"Hi! I'm here for a movie I'm doing. How about you?"

"I'm from here, actually. This is where I grew up. I'm visiting our old house for the summer." Suddenly, Mrs. Carson came up to me, "Hey, dear..." she stopped when she noticed I was talking to someone. "Oh, I'm sorry to interrupt." But James said, "No, it's fine."

 Mr. Carson called for his wife but eventually appeared with us in the aisle. "Uhm, James this is Mr.and Mrs. Carson, they own the store. Mr.and Mrs. Carson this is James McAvoy, you probably know him." They looked at him and after a while Mr. Carson exclaimed,

 "You're the young Professor X!" James smiled. "Yeah, pleased to meet you." "I was wondering if you could help me read my wife's mind?" Mr. Carson teased. James chuckled.

 "Oh hush! Stop embarrassing yourself."said Mrs. Carson. "So, Mr. McAvoy you are here as part of the movie that's filming around town?" She asked. "That's right." "Oh, you see it's not everyday that a famous personality comes to our store. So, welcome!" James grinned. 

"By the way, how did you and Carly know each other?" I wasn't able to speak immediately and so was James. "Well, we met before and he helps the foundation I'm a part of." I said. 

"Oh well, I think you two were talking so, we're going." Mrs. Carson added. She pulled Mr. Carson. "Come on, you eavesdropper." We both looked at them and chuckled. "They're a great couple, don't you think?" James said. "Yeah, they surely is.. Anyway, you're going to stay here for how long?" I asked. "I think we're going to shoot here for 7 weeks." I nodded. "I guess I'll see you around, then." he said. "Okay, bye." I turned my back on him and walked towards the checkout counter. After a few steps, he called,

"Uh, Carly?"

I turn around to face him. "Yeah?" 

"Do you want to grab some dinner later? I just arrived and I'm not yet familiar with the place. Maybe you can show me so I can get around town?" he looked unsure but hopeful.

I thought for a moment. I was torn but I know that I have to go out for dinner since I just arrived and I'm not up for some cooking. "Sure. Let's just meet in front of the town library. It's pretty easy to spot if you're in the square."

"Okay, I'll see you then." he said. I agreed and walked to the counter. As soon as I'm inside the car I began thinking about the turnout of events and how--out all of the places in the world-- our quaint town became the location of James' new movie.