- 53 -

~One month later~

“Where are you headed?” Jamie asks as I pull on my jacket.

“Out,” I reply. She raises an eyebrow. I sigh and roll my eyes. “Melissa told me she’s staying at our father’s house. She says it’s down the road from Amy’s. I don’t know. I just want to drive by and see it.”

“Aren’t you and Melissa still not talking?” she asks. “I know the concert was a bit crazy.”

“Yeah, but I don’t know. Maybe I’ll stop in and talk with her for a bit. Or maybe I’ll meet my dad. I guess I’ll figure it out when I get there, but I just want to at least see the house. To see if it’s safe, ya know?”

She smiles and nods. “You care about your sister.”

“Hardly,” I scoff. “I just know that if I’m not checking up on her…no one else will.”

“Uh huh.” She gives me a look and I roll my eyes.

“Can I go?”

“Yes. But be careful. I know how that neighborhood is. And there’s mail for you sitting in the kitchen. I think I saw some college letters,” she hints. I smile and nod.

“Okay. Thanks.”

I leave figuring I could get it when I came home.

~*~*~*~

I think it’s a little strange that my birth parents live so close. Especially since my mother’s main goal was to escape him. My guess is that he followed her. It wouldn’t be much of a surprise.

After finding Amy’s house, I followed the directions Melissa had mentioned at the concert. It’s been about a month since that whole blow up, but for some reason that one piece of information I managed to retain. I drove down the road and there on the corner was a small house. There was no car parked in front of it. Just a motorcycle. The recycling bin sat by the curb, filled to the top with beer cans. They occupied the lawn as well.

The screen door was shut, but the front door was open. I could see through to the house. I saw Melissa right away. She was crying and screaming. Then entered a man. Tall and muscular with tattoos on his body. He looked to be yelling too, threatening her maybe. I didn’t know what to do. I could get out of the car and go help, but he didn’t look to be hurting her in any way.

Eventually she walked away. She stormed out of the house and wiped her tears. The man seemed to be cooling down while she went for a walk. Right when I was about to pull away, she spotted me. Our eyes locked and she walked to my car. I rolled down the window.

“What are you doing here?” she demands to know.

“I just wanted to make sure you were okay,” I admit. She didn’t know how to respond, so I closed the window and pulled away before she had the chance.

At least she knows someone cares about her, despite all she’s put me through. I can’t even say why I care at this point. She’s a ruthless bitch who only cares about herself. Maybe it’s because we’re family. As fucked up as that may be, it’s true. My entire life I had no one to relate to. I didn’t know my mother or my father. I didn’t think I had any siblings. And now that I’ve found them all, I guess I feel obligated to care. We’re family, and that will never change.

After returning home, I picked up the mail on the counter. I took the thickest envelope first.

“Oh! Did you open it yet?!” Jamie squeals, running in and watching me eagerly. I smile and shake my head.

“I’m afraid.”

“Come on. You can do it,” she coaxes. I take a deep breath and tear open the paper, reading over the letter inside.

“Well?” Jamie urges.

“I’m….accepted,” I say, biting my lip to conceal my smile as she shrieks and hugs me.

“I’m so proud of you! Studying social work at uni just like me. My baby is going to college!” I smile.

College. In London. Away from Adam and Harry. Away from Melissa and my birth parents. Away from Jamie. Away from everything.

But maybe that’s exactly what I need.

AUTHORS NOTE
this chapter is kind of teeny tiny :3 sorry. i hope you can forgive me<3 thanks so much for reading and i love you<3 xx