Chapter 3

Reaching the town everyone was running and screaming. Looking around men in dark fur coated armor surrounded the building. Their armor coated in dried blood. They were not human either. Their skin was pale and transparent with black veins traveling up their arms around their faces. Each having different characteristics, and different styles of weapons. From spears, axes, to long and short swords. Jet black eyes of some of the soldiers scanned around the village as if they were searching for something.

"Drake they are demons from the Shadow army" Drake and I looked at each other as we made our way over to Swiftfoot. He was frantic and trying to break free from his post.

"Shh shh Swiftfoot" calming him down I looked at Drake.

"You need to get to my house, protect Skyler and my mother. I will take care of things here" Turning to grab my sword from its bondage Drake jerked my arm back for me to face him.

"As if in hell Effie you can't fight Demons on your own!" his grip on my arm tightened. Prying his hand off me I looked at him.

"Go now while you have the chance please Drake" begging him with my eyes, he shook his head in frustration and hoped onto SwiftFoot. Pulling out my sword I watched as he raced off towards the direction of my home. Hearing screaming to my left I saw Margaret being dragged out of the Tavern by her hair. Gritting my teeth I vaulted over the post and cut sliced down on the un-expecting soldier. Freeing Margaret I threw her his sword. Looking at me her eyes filled with shock.

"Oh god don't get soft on me now! Run!" seeing her nod she grabbed Devlin and Marcus and ran. Thankfully she listened to me for once. Looking back at the town she scanned the area. Just because I am hated by this town does not mean I will let it fall to ruin. Flipping over the railing I darted towards the group of demon soldiers. Cutting them down one by one in swift movements I focused my energy.

"Look out Effie!" hearing Devlin scream my name I turned to see a giant grotesque looking soldier coming towards me. Using the wooden pillar as a volt I propelled myself off of it and sliced the head of the incoming soldier clean off his shoulders. Smiling to myself I looked at my handy work. Not bad but I could do better. Racing forward another soldier was on me quickly ducking I slide through his legs as he turned around I spun his sword out of his hands and through it in the air. Kicking him off his feet the sword feel vertically and dug itself into the chest of the fallen soldier. Black blood began to seep from its gurgling mouth. This is just gross, why do they have to look so ugly.

Hearing more hooves of horses riding into town I turned to the tavern and began to climb my way up onto the roof. Standing on the roof I scanned the area, some of the men in the town were fighting off the weakened soldiers. Seeing a cloaked figure move through the crowd swiftly I followed it with narrowed eyes. Now why is that person not even seen? Looking at the figure it turned and raised a bow and arrow towards me. Oh shit! The figure released the arrow and just as I thought it was going to him me I heard a muffled groan from behind me. Looking a soldier with its marble looking arms raised fell off the roof and plummeted to the ground. How the hell did that person shoot from that distance?

Looking back to the figure he had disappeared. Dammit. Ok Effie no time to waste keep moving. Running across the roof tops I raced to get a good look at the soldiers coming into town. Seeing a gold thick chain dangling from the neck of one of the soldiers I smiled.

"There you are commander" jumping onto the top of a nearby post I used the balancing techniques my father taught me to hold my balance. Hearing a small scream from below me, I saw a young girl being cornered by a big grizzly, fat face, ugly looking soldier. Grabbing my dagger from inside my boot I threw it at towards the jugular of the creature. Watching his big body fall to the ground everything seemed to go in slow motion. The only sound that could be heard as he fell was his body hitting the ground. Jumping down to the little girl I turned to her and made sure she was ok.