Chapter 16

Looking at Clerion I tilted my head to the side

Looking at Clerion I tilted my head to the side. Grandfather and father never mentioned an adopted son or brother. Seeing him laugh softly he led me to the table and waved everyone else over. All of them were just as confused as I was. Sitting down I looked around and at the young man whom sat next to him. Part of his hair was long and spiked while the other half was combed over side of his face. He had the same single earring as Clerion and was almost a spitting image of him. He was a rugged appearance not like most elves but it seemed the forest elves were very different form the light elves. The forest elves had more muscle and height. Their ears were slightly longer and well They wore a dark green leather instead of the usual elven attire. I kind of liked it, more of the badass and take names later look.

"So yes I am the adopted son of the King and brother of your father. They found me a few years after your father was born. Queen Maya had died and Florian and Sepherian set off on a hunting journey well, they found me jumping through trees, I even tried to steal their weapons and food to sell. That turned out well. So instead Sepherian looked at me and said "Dad can we keep him" laughing loudly his shoulders shook in laughter.

"The only thing I said to your father was, 'Am I a lost dog or something' my family had been murdered during the first war and I survived. Florian took me in and raised me as one of his own. Sepherian and I always caused so much trouble around the palace. When you were born I was there, you called me uncle Trouble. Your mother Eva laughed at the nickname all the time. But when the darkness started to gather and you went into hiding I lost all contact with you and your father. Until recently when I had a letter arrive saying he was in light territory. He told me about Skylar too..." seeing my face sadden at the mention of both my father and Skylar Clerion stopped what he was saying and became serious.

"Effie..." Clerion looked at me in realization something had happened.

"Father is being held captive, his entire platoon was slaughterd but they took him...Skylar and I were attacked by netkries and Sky well he was badly wounded and is now in a deep sleep state almost. Uncle Clerion we need your help please...also I wish I could remember a lot but I don't...just that grandfather sent me here saying you had a map for me" seeing him nod I saw his fist clench. The worry and fear in his eyes showed me he was thinking about my father and his own.

"Merick grab the elder scroll form the volt it is time" the guy next to him that looked like Clerion nodded his head and headed to fetch the elder scroll. Coming back, he laid it out along the table.

"This scroll shows the different territories we need to search to find the other few who are to be part of the council. I am one, I am Merick Letural son of King Clerion of the forest elves, and your cousin Effie. We will need to head towards the crescent moon lands that will lead us into Trinity waters in the land of crystal waters, where Queen Acquanetta, of the mer folk live. There we will be able to find the next guardian" Looking at Merick I nodded my head softly as everyone else agreed, the only person who seemed tense was Alec. Him going back to the crescent moon lands now of all times...seeing him leave the table everyone stayed silent. Getting up from my seat I held up my finger as in to wait a moment. Running after Alec I caught his hand.

"Alec stop...we have no choice...I know you don't want to go back right now but we must please" Alec jerked his hand away from me.

"You don't understand and you never will Effie, now leave me alone we have a job to do." Watching him turn and walk away from me a part of me felt pain. Feeling a soft hand on my shoulder I looked to my side to see Dorinda standing there. She was glaring in the direction Alec left towards.

"Don't mind that jerk Effie, we need to get some rest for the journey tomorrow" nodding towards her we were guided to our chambers for the evening. Sitting down on the bed I sighed and looked at Dorinda as she took her hair down from its binding.

"Dorinda, do you know why Alec hates me so much?" Looking towards me she sighed softly and sat next to me.

"He doesn't hate you Effie it's just I think he feels as if he's protecting you by staying away..." looking at her confused she laughed a little.

"You know why he looked so tired all the time when we were on our way to light territory?" shaking my head no she got up from the bed and headed to the mirror and continued to undress.

"He was guarding you every night, even when we were at the palace anything that concerned you he was there. That day he stormed off and you fell back asleep after we met he came back to the cavern and sat next to you while you slept keeping watch." Looking at her in shock she smiled at my reaction.

"Really, he was always so tired because he was taking care of me, but why would he do that? He hates me...doesn't he?" Getting up I began to undress as well. Releasing my hair from its pony tail and undoing the leather straps to my clothes.

"I don't know that is for him to tell you, and hopefully he will get off his high horse and just understand there is some things in life he can't control" Rolling her eyes we both laughed and smiled at each other.

"Thank you, Dorinda, and honestly it is nice to have a friend who is a girl for once. I never really had one before" seeing her place her hand over her heart she smiled and turned toward me and hugged me.

"In my thousand years Effie I have never really had a friend either so I thank you, and I think we are more like sworn sisters huh" I smiled at what she said and nodded my head.

"Yeah I think so too" pulling away we finished getting ready for bed and both crawled into our beds to get some rest. Feeling restless throughout the night, visions of Julius and villages burning as if I was looking through his eyes.

Opening my eyes, breathing heavy I felt the coolness of the air filling the room. Looking over towards Dorinda she was fast asleep. Trying not to wake her I got out of bed and headed towards the door. Opening it slightly I looked to the side to see Alec standing his arms crossed and eyes closed. Seeing his soft breathing he was asleep.

Smiling I grabbed a blanket and slowly draped it over him and tucked it behind him to keep him warm. I guess Dorinda was right he does stand guard all the time. But why does he treat me so harshly? And why of all people do I love him? Going back into the room I felt calm enough to go back to sleep knowing Alec was watching out for me.

Laying back in bed I let myself drift back to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture of Effies cousin Merick above. It is so hard to find his style haircut so I got the face close to what hed look like.

Hope you all like this chapter!!!! Enjoy!!!