Chapter 8: Adventurous Plans

The following morning, at breakfast, I asked Kristina about going into town to some of the shops. Emilio had gone to the business place already with his driver. I told her that there were a few things I needed to pick up and that we'd like to see the downtown area.

She said she would arrange with Marcos, the same driver who had picked us up from the airport, to take us whenever we were ready. She also informed us that Emilio was making plans to take us scuba diving after we arrived at the cabin and she would stay home to arrange for the trip. I asked her about the location of the waterfall and the scuba dive and she informed me the waterfall was near the city, just a few minutes away and the island was a few hours off the coast of Mexico by boat, so it would involve us staying a night in the yacht. The island, 'Isla Socorro', was supposedly uninhabited. Apparently Emilio would fill us in on the details later in the evening.

It was enough information to pass onto the sergeant and the officers. Surely the Mexican police would know the island's location. An hour after breakfast we decided to go into town. It was just a few minutes away, passing housing settlements and lots of greenery on the way. The streets were as busy as ever, ranging from small shacks containing clothing, colourful accessories and trinkets, to statuesque shops with high quality, expensive items.

There were many jewelry stores and I couldn't help but peek at the beautiful gems that shone in the lighting begging to be worn. There was in particular one beautiful piece, a teardrop shaped Emerald surrounded by fine crystals. It was small, simple and beautiful. I'm sure it would also cost a fortune.

We had told Marcos to drop us off and come back in four hours time, which would give us more than enough time to meet up with the officers. We decided to go to the hotel once Marcos was out of sight. Walking into the lobby, we were met with one of the most beautiful hotels I had ever laid eyes on. Rich gold and cream pastel colours surrounded us, with porcelain tiles and marble counters. The entire decor screamed expensive, rich leather seating and plush cushions in other areas. The lobby opened out into a large outdoor area.

There were three large pools, which were interconnected, with some rock landscapes. The hotel buildings surrounded the property. What was even more amazing was that the entire hotel was on the beachfront. The view was breathtaking. There were tables, huts and lounge chairs decorating the beachfront, and I longed to go barefoot on the sand and in the water.

But we had work to do first. We walked up to the reception area and a petite brunette greeted us. We gave us our names and told her that there would be a reservation for us. A look of recognition crossed her face and she called someone to direct us to our room where the officers would be set up.

We took the elevator to floor 5; walking into the long corridor we knocked on the door, room 145, and heard the lock opening. An officer I did not recognize opened the door, "yes may I help you?"

Nathan scrunched his face and replied, "Nathan and Emily Brown."

"Ahh come in come in, my bad I did not recognize the both of you, we've been awaiting your arrival," he said with a Mexican accent. I found it strange that they did not know what we looked like. I looked him over quickly but then brushed it aside.

On stepping inside I recognized a few of the men, being ours, the FBI's and few others I had never seen before, from the Mexican police I assumed. Nathan went across and shook the hands of a few of the officers I recognized as being FBI and then introduced me. 

Sgt Dean had put another officer, Mr. Chuck Porter, a tall, built man, especially for his age, in charge of the investigation here in Mexico, as he could not be here himself. We filled in Porter on the details of the trips and whatever headway we had made so far. He pinpointed the locations of the waterfall and the island, retrieving some digital maps, informing us that he would have some plain clothed officers stationed at both the sites on the days that we were going. We would however have to let him know the definite days and he handed us a burner phone, which we would use to call them, and then discard it. We both had cell phones but would not risk using it at the Costa household; however, they placed GPS microchip tracking devices in them, as safeguards, so that it could trace our location even when we go to the island.