Chapter 12: Dirty Laundry

Hey guys! Sorry for taking so long to update! Things have been crazy hectic.. let me not make you wait any longer.So without further ado...here's the next chapter.

Btw I'm sticking with Emily's pov so far as i didn't see any comments! 

Enjoy :) 

.....

EMILY

That evening everyone seemed to be pretty tired and didn't feel like much socializing. Nate and I walked around the property, with the pretence of casually strolling, while simultaneously looking around for anything suspicious. We observed only two cameras on the property, one facing the driveway and the other facing the outdoor pool area. We saw no evidence of a spare room, so we were assuming that the monitors were set up in their bedroom.

When we came back inside, Kristina was busy cutting up pieces of raw chicken and vegetables in the kitchen. Someone must have stocked the food earlier in the day while we were out, as no one had arrived or left since we reached the cabin. I admired the fact that, although she must have been tired also, she did treat us, her "guests" exceptionally, making sure we had home cooked food and not just take out or fast food. I knew she had packed sufficient food for our two day sea exploration plus maybe a week longer with all the boxes, cans and many frozen things I saw.

Nate went across to where Emilio was sitting on the couch, with a laptop and his feet perched up on the coffee table, while I walked over to Kristina and offered my services. After a few minutes, Emilio walked up to us telling her that he was going to check on the yacht, barely sparing me a glance, which I couldn't care less about. I felt a presence behind me and Nate's faded aftershave scent invaded my senses as I felt his arms wrap around my waist from behind. I quickly rested the knife I was holding and the carrot from the other hand onto the cutting board as he told me he was going with Emilio to the marina. It was a 5 minute drive and they wouldn't be to far away.

He kissed me on my cheek and I watched his back retreating, with Emilio leading him. I felt a slight panic, knowing that he would be alone with Emilio, praying that he'd be safe, but reassured myself when he turned around and looked at me again, giving me a small smile. I told myself that Nate was so much more experienced than I was and he had been around Emilio much longer. Still, I knew I'd be counting the minutes until he returned.

Kristina observed me, mistaking my worry for 'missing my husband' thankfully, telling me that they'd only be gone for a half hour, just to transport some necessities for the trip on the following day. She thought it was so adorable that we couldn't stay away from each other and reminisced on her and Emilio's honeymoon and how 'in love' they were and other unwanted details. Cue the silent cringe.

Walking outside, we prepared the grill, lighting the coals. I joked with her asking her the location of the fire extinguisher, her face turning to mock horror, but she told me nevertheless. Collecting the foodstuffs from inside, we placed them onto the grill, basting the chicken pieces with sauce and cooking the vegetables quickly. It seemed as though she was accustomed to the grill and I asked her if she entertained family and friends here often.

Her face drew down slightly, as her eyes turned towards the grill when she replied, " friends, yes, I don't have much family left, and neither does Emilio."

I had already known this, but it was so much easier to fish for information if Emilio was away.

" Oh I'm sorry to hear that, I don't either," I responded to her in all honesty, then added with a small smile, " but I can't wait to start my own." Her head lifted to me then, a sad smile on her face.