Chapter 49: Over

Everything was calculated. Everything that could go wrong was accounted for. Everything solution had been made. Everything tonight had been planned. So when Mark approached me, I wasn't the least bit shocked.

"Lulu," Mark whispers.

"Mark." I nod in reply and continue walking, making my way through the exterior of the room.

Mark walks with me, obviously having something to say. "You took a big risk those three days."

"I know." I avoid a group of puffy dresses standing in a corner. "It was well worth the punishment coming."

"I see."

"You don't sound like you do."

"No, I do. I'm just worried."

"About what?"

Mark smiles. "About the troubles that await us."

I sigh. "Please don't talk about the future. The 'troubles that await us' are a long way off."

Mark nods. "I won't."

I don't pick the conversation up again. I instead focus on scanning the perimeter and making my rounds.

Mark doesn't seem to mind that our conversation fell and settles for following me around.

Why does Mark want to stay with me? Shouldn't he be with Jackson? My heart starts to ponder the reasons why Mark stays by my side, but it never thinks of the most simplest reasons: because he wants to.

I go throughout the night with Mark by my side as I make small talk with the guests. I never question why, and Mark doesn't try to offer an explanation.

Suddenly, Mae comes from nowhere with Jungkook in tow.

"Have you seen Luna?" Mae asks, a small tremor barely audible in her voice. But, I hear it, and I can tell something's wrong.

"No, I have not. She was just here a minute ago speaking to a lord," I inform Mae. "I'll look around the room."

Mae nods and take off with what seems to be Jungkook.

I forgot. I never forget. It seems Mark's presence affects me more than I thought it would. The room seems to spin as I rummaged it for Luna. Mark helps, but we both end up empty handed.

The garden! The only place we didn't check. I dash towards the nearest door but was too late.

BOOM!

Pieces of the golden chandelier hanging above rain down on us below. One half of the ballroom has collapse, trapping a fourth of the guests underneath. Already, guards are directing the guests to safety and saving those trapped should they need the help.

My first thought was about Mark. I search around with my hands and eyes. He was just with me! Where could he have gone?

"Lulu!" His voice calls out.

I exhale the moment I make eye contact with him. Mark is unscratched, a bit disheveled, but still alive and breathing. Along with him is JB, or should I say Jaebum. Seeing them together shocks me into remembering the reality of our situation. Oh, how the Threads of Fate tie us together.

I motioned for them to follow me out a broken window. They nod, and I crawl through quickly.

"Come. This way," I instruct after they crawl through.

"Where are we going?" Jaebum asks.

"Somewhere," I curtly reply. My pace quickens into a sprint. I assume Mark and Jaebum are keeping up with me, but I don't confirm my suspicions. There are more important things to worry about.