Chapter 38: Then and Now

"It's the only way. The vampire in you is the one that needs the blood. If we don't do something, that vampire could die. And if you don't die along with it, you'll be half human."

"Wait. Why would she be half human?" Mae asks.

"It's how the poison works. It's goal is to destroy your bloodline. It could be programmed to destroy a certain specie. If the bloodline was destroyed, then the person becomes human. For those with mixed bloodlines, whatever percentage you were of destroyed bloodline will be the percentage of your humanity."

"That doesn't make much sense! So you're saying that the poison can wipe out an entire specie's DNA from someone? All the abilities along with it? And to replace the missing DNA, human is put into the blank space."

I nodded. Luna hasn't said a word after I told her that I would lock away her vampire side.

"The vampire will only be locked for a month. Until the next full moon. After that, the binds around the vampire will automatically break. Do you want to do this?"

Luna nodded. "So, how does this locking away thing work?"

"First, I'm going to have to wait twenty-four hours for your vampire side to appear. That means you can't eat anything for twenty-four hours." Luna slowly nodded. "After that is when it will get painful."

"I'll do it. Whatever it takes. As long as no one, especially my mom, doesn't find out," Luna said. 

"Ok, if you really want to," I say before turning to the door. "It's nine'o clock. Tomorrow at nine will we continue. For now, just stay as comfortable as possible. Someone will be here shortly to take another blood sample. I'll be in my room."

"Wait! She gets her own room but I don't? No fair." Mae's whine is the last thing I hear before turning the corner to my room.

In my room, I have a lab set up just for this kind of situation. I sit on a nearby stool, looking at the liquid boiling.

I wish we didn't have to resort to this. If only I wasn't pulled out. If I had stayed, I would learned the antidote.

"She's the new recruit? Must be hell of an agent to be the only one recuited," The instructor comments as I stand by the grey doorway with two guards on both sides. "All right, then. What's your name, gal?"

"Se Yi. Min Se Yi," I replied in a strong voice that echoed throughout the room.

"Well, Min Se Yi, please take a seat in front. Right here," the man points to a seat right in front of him. The class sinckers, obviously finding amusement about my seating arrangement.

I will myself to keep still, to walk to with confidence on the charcoal grey ground and to not make a fool of myself. I sit down on the red bench, crossing my legs and wait for the instructor to continue. He doesn't. Instead, my new peers throw things at me.

With lightning speed, I catch them all and send them flying back to their owners. All but three are bruised by the force I used throwing the various items they had thrown at me.

The instructor claps slowly, impressed with what I has done. "Good job, newbie. Everyone else who got hit has four additionally sets of drills to do this month. Get to it!"