fünf

i close my eyes, afraid of looking at his reaction. everything was going so well- i feel a masculine hand lay on top of my own. the warmth and shock it gave me caused me to open my eyes. shawn's eyes show understanding, not distance.

"you're not gone."

i murmur, shocked. he furrows his brows.

"why would i be? darling, you've been staring at my lips every time i talk. i had a hunch that you did, and even if you are deaf, which you are, i don't have a problem at all. i'll always be here, i'm actually quite more interested in you. you're a strong girl, laura. it's admirable,"

a blush creeps on my face, my stomach summersaulting. he hasn't left, he's into me more than ever, and he cares! this boy really is worth more than a package, he's the fucking fedex company. i try to find the words to say.

"i didn't think i'd come this far, they all left."

my voice wavers in the end, the memories ruining my mood. shawn's hand was still holding onto mine comfortingly, his thumb moving against my skin.

"i won't leave, i've just gotten to know you for gods sake. you deserve a chance, anyone does, sometimes when someone loves the scent of a rose. they'd rather endure the pain of the thorns to enjoy the scent of the flower."

blinking away my tears, i begin to eat again. as does he, even with my deafness, we get along smoothly. the night began to drift on while we talked about the music he makes, and his interests in architecture. i spoke about how i created art, and my dad's business before he passed.

"your dad's harold parker?"

his eyes slightly widen, i nod my head, putting down my glass of water. he fixes his shock, relaxing in an instant, well he took it better than i had expected.

"i'm so sorry."

flashing him a weak smile, i place down my fork, feeling full. shawn has stopped eating as well, taking a few sips of wine every now and then. as our date began to come to an end, we laugh the night away. even if i had a bit of a struggle to read what he was saying, he had become comfortable with my disability.

"this has never happened before,"

i whisper under my breath, his brows furrow. the man has good hearing i'll tell you that.

"you've never gone on a date?"

his voice in pure disbelief, i shake my head, lightly smiling.

"no, i have. i just never met a guy that would even consider going through all the trouble of dating me because i'm you know..."

he nods in understanding, clasping my right hand in comfort.

"you're lovely just the way you are, and i'm so proud of how far you've made it."

tears well in my eyes as i read his pink lips, he asks for the check, but of course i'm not going to let him pay after all—he did stay. our waiter, anna, lays the check in the middle of us.

"i really enjoyed to-"

before he finishes his sentence, i break my gaze away. seeing him reach for the check, but quickly grabbing it from under his touch. his expression humors out as a big smile takes place.

"geez, i thought you were slow jogging in the park, but with the check? tsk, tsk."

he laughs at my remark while it was my turn to smile in return. how much cuter can he get? we leave the restaurant, seeing in the far distance, an o-so familiar black mercedes still parked.

"as much as i'd like this night not to end, i would love to call you an uber."

"no need, i have a ride, thank you though."

placing my hand on his arm gently, i lean up to place a light kiss on his cheek. to my surprise, he turns his cheek to kiss me on the lips, i close my eyes in his warmth. wow, this man can kiss! moving in sync against him, keeping the kiss somewhat appropriate out in public. i pull away, both of us breathing heavily from the intensity.

my heart summersaults while his hand has found it's way around my love handles. i don't realize cameron has pulled up in front of us until i hear a manly cough.

"this is my ride,"

i blush lightly, while he holds my hand, kissing the top of it.

"text me, bonita. until next time,"

i expect him to let me leave, but he swirls me around into a hug, his lips kissing my temples. i close my eyes in his hold, poor cameron this must be so gag worthy. he finally lets me go, cameron opening up my door. i thank him quietly, getting into the car as a blushing mess, cameron goes around. i wave to him goodbye, feeling my heart expand a little bit larger.

"i told you it was going to go well, miss. parker."

i chuckle, out of one in a million.

"if i may ask though, what was he like?"

"he was kind,"

i stay silent, thinking of our previous conversations.

"compassionate, polite, musical, and god was he romantic."

cameron cracked a small smile in the rearview mirror, driving into the silent darkness. i seemed like a lovesick puppy, and maybe i was, but who cares? i've finally found someone whose willing to try for me, be with me, stay. i'm not giving that up for anything... not when it's him. not when it's shawn.