Seven

Mercy stayed in bed all day, her locket still pressed against her chest. Last night's conversation with her grandmother still rung through her head even though Alice could've been lying. But, Mercy knew that her grandmother wouldn't lie to her, or at least not intentionally. Even if she was telling the truth, would Newt say that? Would he tell a woman he's only met once something so big, considering the first time they met, she wasn't exactly as friendly.

'Are you ever going to leave your room?'

Mercy sat up staring at Alice as she peered in from the hallway, she smiled slowly approaching Mercy's bed.

'I know it's a lot to take in' Alice spoke

'Did you really talk to him?'

'Yes'

'Did he really say what you said he said?' Mercy whined

'Would that be so bad?'

Mercy frowned laying back down, she held up her locket as she opened it, revealing a photo of her and Newt.

'Not really' Mercy whispered

'He really likes you, you know? He looked like he was going to breakdown when he talked about you still begin mad'

'I... I'm not mad, anymore. I don't think I ever really was'

'You can tell he knows he made a mistake' Alice whispered placing a warm hand on Mercy's knee, she faintly smiled.

'But, why wait four years? I told him where to find me and we agreed we were still friends--best friends'

Alice just sighed before standing up 'have you seen anyone since you two departed?'

'Yah, I've been out once and awhile' Mercy said

'I know he was your only friend, you said it yourself back at my apartment in New York'

'Yeah, so?'

Alice just smiled before walking out of the room. Mercy frowned letting out a loud sigh, Newt wasn't the only one who made a mistake.

Mercy got up, getting dressed quickly she ran downstairs. Alice was sitting in the living room drinking a cup of what Mercy assumed was coffee, she smiled at Mercy before taking another sip from her cup.

'I'm going out'

'Good for you!' Alice shouted 'wait, going out where?'

'Not sure'

Mercy yanked open the door and jumped out onto the snowy sidewalk. Running down the empty streets she realized she had no idea where she was going but it felt good to run, it felt good to be outside. Mercy felt alive running down the snowy side walk, she smiled trying to catch some snowflakes as they fell from the dark sky.

Eventually Mercy stopped playing around in the snow like a five year old, she calmed herself down and began walking towards downtown London. Getting closer to the middle of the city it slowly got busier, people were everyone trying to purchase items or just have dinner. Mercy walked into her favourite cafe, it happened to be empty with only employees wondering around the small space.