Chapter nineteen - The speech.

AN: This basically is a scene from A Sign Of Three. You may already have watched it so might be a bit bored with this Chapter, I made a few changes. Hope you dont mind!

Enjoy!

Later on that day, the guests were all eating their way through their three courses and drinking champagne. The master of Ceremonies, or possibly just the head waiter, taps a spoon against a champagne glass to get everyone's attention. 

"Pray silence for the best man."

Great, my speech. The guests applaud and cheer as I stand up. Two bridesmaids, John and Mary, myself and Janine were all sitting on the main table at the front. I button up my jacket, probably looking a little uncomfortable.

"Ladies and gentlemen, family and friends ... and ... erm ... others." There's an awkward pause, "Er...w... A-a-also ..."

I look around. I'm not usually nervous, I just get really awkward sometimes, and John expects me to speak nicely. To not say anything unpleasant or truthful. To speak normal. But how can I? 

Everyone is staring at me. Mrs. Hudson looks nervous, Lestrade sits back a little, looking concerned, everyone just looks strangely at me.

"Telegrams." I here John say quietly.  I jolt out of my blankness.

"Right, um..." I pick up the pile of telegrams in front of me. I swallow hard, looking at the guests, "First things first. Telegrams." I get rid of my awkwardness, and speak up quickly about how stupid these telegrams are. "Well, they're not actually telegrams. We just call them telegrams. I don't know why. Wedding tradition... because we don't have enough of that already, apparently." 

John clears his throat. I lift up the first card, then read it out, "To Mr and Mrs Watson. So sorry I'm unable to be with you on your special day. Good luck and best wishes, Mike Stamford."

"Ah, Mike." John mumbles happily. I read the next card.

"To John and Mary. All good wishes for your special day. With love and many big..." I pause, what the hell? Who even writes like this? I continue to read slowly, "....big squishy cuddles, from Stella and Ted."

I look up and see Lestrade snickering, and Holland is holding in a laugh. I hated when I embarrassed myself. Especially in front of people who would defiantly comment on it afterwards.

"Mary – lots of love... poppet ..." I loudly pop out the 't' at the end of the word. John and Mary giggle. This was so boring.  "... Oodles of love and heaps of good wishes from CAM. Wish your family could have seen this." I look at the next card. "Um, "special day," I drop the card on the table and read the next one, "very special day," I drop it again, then continue working rapidly though them, "... 'love' ... 'love' ... 'love' ... 'love' ... 'lo...' bit of a theme – you get the gist. People are basically fond."

There's some laughter from the guest. I carry on my speech.

"John Watson. My friend, John Watson. John." I looked down at John and he smiled, then i turned to the audience again, "When John first broached the subject of being best man, I was confused."

**Flashback**

"Sherlock?" John said, coming up the stairs.

"What was that noise downstairs?"

John turned his way to the kitchen. I was currently standing at the table in my camel colored dressing gown, wearing safety glasses. I was holding an eyeball with a large pair of tweezers and holding a lit blowtorch near the optic nerve of the eyeball for an experiment.