letter six

I can't believe I'm doing this. She's going to think I'm a weirdo.

Walking up to her door I slow down and raise my first to knock.

Kari better be proud.

"Oh, hello."

"Hey, Kennedy."

"Do you need my sugar?" She laughs.

My face starts to heat up. "Ha no. I was actually wondering if you want to go mini golfing with me. It's a nice day and you just moved here so-"

"I'd love to!" Kennedy interrupts.

"Great! I'll pick you up in a hour?"

She smiles and closes the door to get ready.

I hope this wasn't a mistake.

Walking up to the door, my heart speeds up and my heart races. I haven't been out with someone of the opposite sex in nearly a year.

This isn't a date.

We are just two neighbors getting to know each other. That's all.

"Are you ready?" Kennedy stood in front of me with a tight pink shirt and a grey cardigan. Her hair was curled that framed the shape of her head. Make up lightly covered her dark skin enlightening her natural beauty.

"You look nice." I blurted out.

"Um, thanks." Kennedy smiled looking down at her vans.

We settled in my car and drove to the mini golf course. She kept her eyes strained to the passing streets. The radio was white noise while our thoughts were loud enough. My eyes wavered to the nervous girl next to me fiddling her fingers.

"Are you alright?"

Kennedys head snaps up as her attention follows to me. "Of course."

We smile at each other and I continue driving until we reach the parking lot of "Put-Put Palace"

An hour flew by and the awkwardness blew with the wind. We filled the course with roars of laughter as neither of us knew what we were doing.

"How am I supposed to hit it through the windmill?" I looked up to her.

"Figure out the timing. You have to hit it when the it covers the hole so when it reaches it, it will go through because it moved." Kennedy furrowed her eyes in concentration.

I stare at her in interest.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" She wipes her mouth nervously.

"No, no." I shake my head. "That was just really smart."

We finally made it to the end of the course with barely any points scored. As we walk back to my car we laughed about how horrible we were.

"I doubt we even counted the points right!" Kennedy laughs

"Well we had fun an that's all that matters." I turned to Kennedy and watch her attempt to hide her smile.

The car was quiet as we were reminiscing on the past two hours.

"Thank you for coming with me. I had a lot of fun." I parked the car in my driveway.

We walk together to her house and stop in front of her door.

"Um, thanks for inviting me. It's great finally escaping unpacking for once." Kennedy giggled nervously.

"I understand. See you later."

"Bye Calum."

I walk back to my quiet home. The home I wish I could escape from packing. I walk past the clutter and into the living room. I pull the mail onto my lap, already knowing what I'm about to face.

Kari Johnson

Dear Calum,

Sitting in a hospital for a year, I start to realize the beautiful things in life. I see the beauty and life in even the worst things. I see how even in the midst of the struggle there's still a candle burning unable to blow out. Nothing can blow that candle out. Not even death.

I learned that I, and we, need to hold on. We need to hold on to hope, faith, and love. Even when it seems it cant get better, it will. I am in anticipation now, for when I can finally feel peace. You will feel it too. Open your eyes, when you get out into the world, and notice the things that bring a smile to your face. Think about the times you feel butterflies in your belly and a sweat to your forehead. Appreciate all the things you used to ignore.

I hope you took my last advice and go out and have fun. Look around at all the things that make you want to wake up another day. Those are the things that keep me going.

I love you,

Kari

(A/N)

I've been writing this over the course of about 2 weeks. I'm sorry. I have had bad day after bad day and nothing made me want to write. Hopefully, I get some snowdays thanks to the incoming storm. Please vote, comment and love. Thank you for reading! I love you all! God bless <3