letter four

I walk down the staircase and straight to the fridge.

The door swings open and the fresh cool air slams into my bare skin.

Standing there, I'm unable to move. My mind evaporates into an abyss.

The sound of the door bell shakes me out of my lost trance.

"Kennedy, right?" I look into the surprised eyes holding my gaze.

"Yes. Um, Calum?" Her gaze slowly trails down but snaps back up when I notice.

"Right. What do you need?"

"Your sugar."

"Excuse me?"

"I um I was baking a cake until I realized I forgot to buy sugar." Her face reddens as she stutters.

"Okay"

"The neighborly thing would be for you to let me borrow some."

"If I get a piece of cake."

"Of course" She smiles brightly.

I welcome into my house and she looks around.

"Well this looks...comfortable."

Following her gaze, I look at all the clutter around. Dirty clothes pile in heaps against the walls. Boxes lay open while magazines and papers scatter around.

"Sorry about the mess."

"No, you're fine! I just moved in too, I understand."

"I've lived here for over two years."

Her jaw drops slightly, then closes to hide her shock. I lead her into the kitchen.

"How much do you need?" I turn to her.

"One cup." She hands me a measuring cup.

"Not a spoonful?"

Her face conforms to confusion until realization hits and her laughter fills the room. 

She leaves my mess of a house with a cup of sugar in her hand and a smile on her face.

Luke and Leanne barge into my house after Kennedy.

"Who was that?" Luke looks around at the mess.

"My neighbor Kennedy. She needed my sugar."

Luke raises an eyebrow at me and Leanne giggles.

"She's cute!" Leanne winks at me.

"Anyways, we just came to stop by to see how you're doing. Obviously you're doing okay. We got your mail." Luke handed me the mail. " If you need us to stay we can. " He lowers his voice.

"I think I'll be okay." I smile to the couple.

They walk out after they hug me and drop off some extra groceries.

I take a deep breath and open the letter.

Dear Calum,

I'm getting weaker. My body isn't agreeing with me. The world is slowly getting darker. Until, you come into the room. Your presence lightens my soul. Everyone around seem so gloomy and depressed. Then you come in with a huge smile on your face.

You've brought me flowers and chocolates. You have massaged my feet and painted my nails. You even attempted to cook. Just the little things keep me smiling for one more day.

When we first started dating back when we were eighteen, you did everything you could to make me smile. You sang me songs, took me out, joked with me, and loved me. Even four years later, you still do those things for me.

Thank you. Thank you for making me smile and feel love. Thank you for brightening my darkest days. Thank you for being you.

I love you,

Kari

(A/N) I promise she doesn't kill herself!! I have personal issues with writing about and glorifying that horrible choice that people sadly face.

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you liked it. Please like and comment and all that stuff.

God Bless :)