Chapter 3

The next morning, I woke up bright and early and took a hot shower.

Simeon knocked on my door just as I finished dressing.

"Ready to go?" he asked in a chipper tone.

"Yup!" I said enthusiastically. "Let's do this!"

We jogged to the arena and on into the locker rooms.

I still wasn't used to wearing my Volt Texture, but rules were rules. At least the pants and jacket were loose enough that I could move freely.

We'd been informed that we would be deployed into the arena one at a time from certain launch decks around the perimeter of the arena. Simeon and I helped each other stretch out then waited for our names to be called.

Simeon was called before me. It was 0845 on the clock. The Carnival had already been going for 45 minutes. I waited for another 15 minutes before my call finally came over the intercom. "(F/n) (L/n), report to launch deck 4."

I took a deep breath then made my way to the deck. I was nervous, but I did my best to calm down as I stepped onto launch deck 4.

Chiffon Fairchild was there, smiling as she always was. "Good morning, (F/n)!" she said in her cheery tone. "Are you ready for this?"

"I don't think it matters much anymore if I'm ready or not," I replied jokingly.

She giggled. "Well, just so you know, you're among the last ones to deploy," she explained. "We're at the average half-way point, but the competition is still pretty heavy, so it may last a little longer than expected."

"Any strategic advice, Council President?" I asked.

She thought a moment. "I recommend you try to keep on the move," she said. "Most of the other Aces will be searching in the outer perimeter or the center of the arena for their next opponents, so stick to the inner ring. That will help you to avoid conflict while the numbers dwindle a little more. You'll stand a better chance that way."

"And if I happen to run into someone regardless?" I ventured.

Her voice and expression were firm. "Don't hesitate, and don't hold back."

I nodded curtly. "Got it."

She stepped back as the solid steel wall before me parted. "Good luck!" she called over the sound of the mechanics.

I didn't respond. My eyes were focused ahead as the bright sunlight seeped through the widening entryway. A red light to my left flashed green. That was my cue.

I stepped out into the light and allowed my vision to adjust. I wasn't happy with what I saw.

I had honestly expected it, but I'd hoped I was wrong. A group of six was waiting outside my launch point. I don't know how they knew which deck I would come from, but there they were. I assumed a group must have been waiting at all of the decks. That was the only logical possibility. There was no way any of my classmates could have gotten their hands on the launch listings. That information was highly classified.