Chapter 4

By 0800 Saturday morning, a crowd of students had gathered around the big digital announcement board in the cafeteria foyer. The giant group of Pandora, Limiters, and bandaged Aces was waiting anxiously to see the first official rankings for the Ace-class Limiters.

There would undoubtedly be crowds just like this at the other boards scattered across campus, so there wasn't much point in Simeon and I going elsewhere. I could feel several eyes on me as we stood waiting.

Based on results of the Carnival alone, there was already a common consensus as to who would take the top spot in the class. I could tell a good number of my peers weren't very pleased about it.

I, however, had decided that I wasn't going to get cocky and assume I would be #1. I won the Carnival, yes, but I would have been eliminated early on if Simmie hadn't been there to watch my back. The analysts could easily rank me a little lower because of that.

For that matter, Simeon could be ranked lower too, since I'd saved his skin once as well.

At about 0820, Simeon pulled me out of my thoughts with excitement all over his face. "There it is, mate!"

I looked up at the board. Sure enough, the Carnival results had been posted right next to the official rankings. Simmie and I, of course, we're listed on the Carnival results in second and first place respectively.

I could already hear the agitated whispers as I turned my attention to the rankings. I didn't need to hear what they were saying to know what they were pissed about. I could see it for myself. There, in the Rank 1 spot, was my name. "(L/n), (F/n)"

Simeon, of course, was practically bouncing with excitement at seeing his name listed right below mine at #2. I was glad my friend was happy, but I didn't quite share his enthusiasm about our high ranking. I knew the two of us were in for a world of hate from other guys in our class.

One of the reasons for hate realized right away. I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder. I was visibly surprised when I turned to see Johanna Kristoff. She was looking at me with big, blue eyes. I honestly had never noticed how pretty her eyes were before.

Johanna had a sweet, almost flirty, smile on her face. Her dark hair was held back with a dark purple headband, and her uniform dress highlighted her slim figure incredibly well.

"Congratulations, (F/n)!" she said.

It took me a second to respond. I'd gotten a little distracted checking her out. I covered it up well though.

"Thank you very much, Miss Kristoff," I replied cordially with a slight bow.

The girl giggled softly and leaned close to my ear. I felt her slip something into my jacket pocket. "No need to be so formal," she whispered. "Just call me Johanna."

I held a straight face as she stepped back and winked. "See you in class!" she said as she turned to leave.