Chapter Ten

None of what had went on earlier made any sense to me and everything kept replaying in my mind. I hated thinking about it but I knew I’d have to think of a reason why. That’s just part of what I do, I have to always have a reason or I’d stress out.

    Though it was a pretty odd situation the others seemed to snap back without so much as a comment about it. It was almost like all of a sudden someone pressed a reset button. So instead of trying to talk about it, I too kept my mouth shut and carried on as normal.

    All I had to do was train and prepare, but how? No one knows how to fight, they’ve never had the need! Especially against the devil’s daughter, with magic and fire. All I could do was try my best and hope I don’t fail.

    I couldn’t just develop magical powers out of the blue, as great as that would be. I mean just being able to beat her at her own game and shoot her down would be great, but who has the patience and time to even try?

    Three weeks until my demise, three weeks until my whole life is changed, three weeks until I fail the hardest I’ve ever failed before.

    I tried to come up with a plan but was pulled from my thoughts when Mark kissed me on the cheek.

“How are you?” He asked.

“I’m fine, and you?”

“I’m great, thank you.”

It was a short interaction before he left the room. I was bored and had no clue what to do so I decided to take a quick dip in the pool to clear my head and relax a bit. I didn’t really have to make a plan right away; I mean I had three weeks.

After changing into my swimsuit I went out and jumped into the deep end of the pool. I held my breath and opened my eyes, looking at the surface as I stayed under. After a bit of trying I stayed at the bottom a bit, just staring at the surface and how beautiful it looks with the sun shining through.

I ran out of air and my lungs began to quiver and burn as I pushed off and shot up to the top. Once my head surfaced I took a sharp breath in and my lungs figuratively thanked me as air flowed through my lungs once more.

My eyes burned from the chlorine but I ignored it and continued floating around, going back under now and then for a bit. I felt my skin was starting to heat up and I remembered I hadn’t put on sunscreen.

Instead of getting out and putting it on I just continued without it. I wasn’t the type to go out of my way to do something that was already overdue. Maybe that’s why I wasn’t passing by much in school.

The feeling of the warm air touching had of me while cold water covers the other half is pleasant. If It was possible I’d have stayed in the pool forever, but my fingers and toes started to wrinkle and the chlorine started to really hurt my eyes so I got out and sat on the pol side in a chair.

I took deep breaths and relaxed, the sun warming my skin and I could feel the burn getting worse. As much as I wanted to do something about it, I was just too relaxed and downright lazy to even try.

“Blaire, what do you want for dinner?” Lexa asked.

“Um… whatever you’re having.” I replied.

“Okay, but I thought you hated tofu.” She giggled.

“I’ll pick around it.” I rolled my eyes jokingly.

“Okay, it’ll be ready in 20.”

    I so badly wanted to go home, to my waking life. I missed school, which is one thing I never thought I’d miss. I missed having somewhere to go and something to do with my day instead of having to come up with my own stuff today.

    There was only so much someone can do in a day and even less when you’re in a world without much. My sleeping life is only so big and though it has parks and movie theaters, nothing seems to occupy me.

    Time seemed to crawl by so slowly, it was painful. Oh how I wished to get these three weeks over with. There was no way I’d win any way; I mean a human against a devil? No way I’d live!

    Lexa came out with a salad for me and I noticed there was no tofu in it. I gave her a quizzical look and she explained that she made a different salad for me so I would have to pick around the tofu. She left when I thanked her and I ate my salad in silence.

    The town fell into an eerie silence, no birds chirping, no cars driving. No bugs or animals of any kind, no rustling of wind through leaves. It was just a deafening silence.

    I hummed a sweet and casual tune, just to fill the quiet. It was hurting me and though there was no reason for it, couldn’t deal with it. My humming was broken and muffled when I chewed but it was enough to comfort me.