Chapter Five

When I woke up I took a breath as if I’d just been almost choked to death and finally I could allow oxygen into my lungs again. I presumed that was normal as I’d just killed myself in my waking life. I was in my room though, not Mark’s.

Usually whenever I fell asleep in my waking life I’d wake up wherever I fell asleep in my sleeping life but, I guess not when you just died. I got up and I had a really bad headache. I wanted to cry but I couldn’t, not that I didn’t want to but I just had no tears to shed.

I walked down to the living room and saw that it was still night here, so, day in what used to be my waking life. I went to Mark’s room and tried to open the door but it wouldn’t open. I’d never been here at night so I didn’t know he kept his door locked.

I gave up and walked to Lexa’s room. I tried to open the door but again, it was locked. I knocked on the door and heard someone shuffle around inside. Soon enough the door opened and there stood a shirtless and sleepy Jason. He was confused and rubbed his eyes.

“Blaire? What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be in your waking life.” He whispered groggily.

“Yeah, it’s a long story I just, I don’t know what to do.” I replied.

“Well, I’d offer to wake up Lexa but you know how dangerous that is.” He trailed off.

    Just then Lexa shifted around and finally opened her eyes. She looked at Jason then me and she grew very confused. She sat up and stretched.

“What are you doing here? It’s night time…” she yawned.

“Well, as I told Jason, it’s a long story and I just have no idea what to do, I’m scared and relaxed and I can’t seem to get a grip on emotions right now.” I tried to speak all in one breath.

    She got up and quickly made her way to me then enveloped me in a hug. She petted my hair and shushed me as I soon started to sob uncontrollably into her shoulder.  It was scary how great she was at sensing emotions.

“It’s okay honey, do you want to talk?” she asked softly, pulling away to look at me but keeping her hands on my arms. I just sniffled and nodded in response.

“I’ll let you two talk this out, I don’t think you want a boy here for this.” Jason mumbled stepping back.

Lexa kissed him on the cheek then lead me to the kitchen downstairs where I sat at the dining table as she made green tea. She then brought me a cup of tea and a cookie I presume she baked earlier in the week.

She sat next to me but faced in my direction as she sat her tea on the table next to her. She just smiled at me with her mother-like grin.

“You can say whatever you want and begin whenever, I wont judge you at all. No matter what you say to me. It will be completely confidential unless you say otherwise.” Her soft voice soothed me.

    I took a deep breath and a sip from my tea. I tried to think of how I wanted to word this so I didn’t sound totally insane. I then began, I explained everything that happened from the hideout in the bush to the very moment we sat down at the table, she nodded along, she didn’t make any faces or question a single thing.

“…I probably sound completely insane but I can’t say anything but what I’ve experienced.” I finished off.

    She nodded, taking in all the information I just gave her. She sipped from her tea and it seemed as though she went over my story a few more times before she responded.

“Okay, firstly, you don’t sound insane. I completely understand how crazy life gets and adding a crazy stalker devil into the mix can escalate it like crazy. I can’t say I’ve ever heard anything like this before, I can say that this can only get better from here. You’re safe here with us and I’m glad you told me. I will do everything possible to keep you safe and I know Mark and even Jason will do the same.”

“Do you think you could possibly tell mark this? I don’t really feel like I’m, okay enough for lack of a better term.” I asked.

“Of course, I will tell him. Don’t worry, you’re going to be okay. Thank you, again, for telling me.” She rubbed my shoulder.

    I ate my cookie in happiness and drank my tea which definitely helped me calm down a lot. Lexa and I talked about life and everything under the sun for hours as we waited for morning to come. We used to have heart to heart talks a lot but then we just, stopped for some reason. It was so great to do it again.

“Lexa, thank you so much for staying up to talk to me. I really appreciate it. I’ve missed these talks.”

“I missed these too! I’m so glad you’re here. Despite the terrible circumstances I think it’s great that you’re here forever.”

“I agree.” I replied. I looked toward the window and saw a small amount of light shining through the curtains. I moved them over a bit just enough to see the sun rise had begun. It was beautiful, the fiery colour corrupting the dark sky.

    I was captivated by the sight and stared at it for what seemed like hours. I finally started seeing birds fly around and chirp at each other. It was so peaceful in the morning here, unlike thee loud cars honking and blowing by in my other life.

“Is the girl talk over?” I heard Jason walk into the kitchen.

“Yes, it’s over and I’m fairly sure she’s alright.” Lexa replied to him.

“Yeah, I’m good.” I turned to them.

“I’m glad” Jason smiled.

“Thank you, again, Lexa.”

“Anytime honey.”