Hidden

Weekend Write-in Prompt: Scale

In 500 words—A story in which something large becomes very small.

September 2016

Piper swam closer to Evan, tapped his arm and pointed, but he'd already spotted it. His eyes behind the mask were filled with the same awe she was feeling, excitement thrummed between them. They had snorkeled in this part of the lake many times, but never seen what was hidden near the jagged rock formation. A shaft of sunlight exposed it. Piper gave him a look, what is it? He shrugged and held up his hands, no clue. She blew bubbles out her nose to equalize the sudden pressure in her head and bent to examine it more closely. It was too large to be a diamond or any other precious gem she'd seen. A spectacular array of colors streamed from its angles and planes while a softer white light pulsed from its center. They reached out at the same time. Had to touch it. Had to hold it. Had to possess it.

Those colors! Piper was sure they didn't exist above water. They swam upward, passing it back and forth, drinking in the purity and perfection. It needed to be on a pedestal, protected by a glass case with spotlights showing off every angle. What was it worth? Who could put a price on such a phenomenon anyway? She passed it to Evan, her eyes pinched; it was slightly smaller and there was a bit less color. But, still stunning. They continued to rise toward the surface, Evan passed it back to Piper with a question in his eyes. She had a sinking realization, it was losing its wonder a little at a time, shrinking and dulling. But still, it was captivating. As they persisted upward, she reached to him, they slowed, held it in their cupped hands and took a closer look. Half the original size. The couple stopped, hung there in the middle of the water, exchanged a look of resolve and nodded in agreement.

They let it go.

Piper turned, dove down and followed it back through the depths. Colors streamed out, angles sharpened and size increased. By the time it settled back into place, tucked against the rock formation, it was fully restored. Startled, Piper realized that she had forgotten how magnificent it was. She reached for her camera, but Evan shook his head. No. She took a water marker out of her pack, at least they could find their way back. No again. Suddenly, impossible colors bubbled up from it and scattered like a fireworks display. Attracted by the phenomenon, three divers turned and swam toward them. The bubbles and shaft of sunlight faded as Piper and Ethan pushed up from the depths and swam away. Wisps of undiscovered colors followed them.