Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Phoebe's POV

Ever since I found out that Max cuts, I started to notice how different he was acting. It was a very..weird different.

He would look at me when he thought that no one was looking, and whenever I turned to him, he pretended as if nothing happened. But, it has been happening at least twice a day. Max has been acting seriously strange.

Cutting, and strange glances? This just isn't Max. And, I remember what he said to me when I found around a week ago.

'You will never understand!'

I think about it all of the time. I think about Max all of the time.

I've never told anyone this, but..I like Max.

No, not the Max from my second-period class. My brother Max. And it's not just a like. It's a like-like. Which concerns me. I'm not supposed to love my brother in that way. I do, though, and the concerning bit is that he's my brother, and that's incest. Which is seriously wrong.

But, what can you do? The feelings are there, I can't get rid of them. You love who you love; there's no way around it.

Hey..Maybe that's what's wrong with Max. Maybe he likes someone he shouldn't, to which is the reason that he cuts. That would explain everything!

Oh, but what about the strange glances, and him telling me that I would never understand what he's going through? That's the tricky part. But, a part of me wonders if he loves me in that way, just like I do..

That makes way more sense. But, in what coincidental world would he ever like me back? I wouldn't even consider it if the puzzle pieces weren't fitting together. So, I guess I just have to glue them, and see if my hunch is correct.

3rd Person POV

Phoebe went downstairs when she smelt food cooking. When she got to the kitchen, though, she came to a sudden halt near the entrance.

There, by the stove, stood Max. Making bacon. He never makes food for the family.

"..Max, what are you doing?" She asked him suspiciously. He turned around at the sound of her voice.

"Making breakfast." He replied simply, going back to the pan of bacon in front of him.

"For who?"

"My family." Max said, raising his eyebrows at Phoebe's behavior.

"Did you poison it? You know that Nora can cook food in less than ten seconds," Phoebe tells him, watching what he's doing to the food, just in case. He rolled his eyes and turned to her.

"Phoebe, I didn't poison the food. I promise," Max says. Phoebe decides to just drop it for the time being, so she can ask him a personal question before the rest of the family wakes up.

"Max, when is the last time you..Y'know..Cut?" She whispered the last part, just in case. Max pursed his lips, and turned the stove off, setting the cooked bacon onto a plate to cool off. He seemed to ponder whether or not to tell the truth, but he decided on the latter. She would find out sooner or later. Might as well be sooner.

"..This morning.." He said hesitantly. Phoebe squeezed her eyes shut, trying to fight the tears. It's not exactly a day in the park when you watch your brother harm himself purposely. Finally, she opened her eyes, and bit the inside of her lip.

"Can..Can I see?" She asked him. His eyes widened in surprise, but he obliged, and took off his bracelets, showing Phoebe his most recent cuts. There, on his arm, were three more red gashes. Thin, but there. It got harder to hold back the tears, as she gingerly held his arm in her hand.

"Max.." She whispered, gently brushing her hand over his cuts. He winced, and Phoebe frowned. "Why do you do this?"

"You wouldn't understand." Max replied, putting his bracelets back over his wrists.

"I bet I would," she told him. He froze for a moment, wondering if she shared his feelings, but he brushed the thought aside. He doubted that would happen.

"I bet you wouldn't," he voiced his thoughts. Phoebe narrowed her eyes.

"Then tell me why you cut, and we'll just see." Max's expression showed worry for a moment, before he did the unexpected. He leaned forward, and smashed his lips to hers. Phoebe was shocked for a moment, but just as Max was about to pull away, she wrapped her arms around his neck, and kissed back. Just then, they hear footsteps going down the stairs, and quickly break apart.

It was Nora. And she saw what they were doing. To make matters worse, as soon as she saw, she called out, "Mom!"