Endings

Mark stepped off the train, and was met with endless applause. He was escorted to his home in Victor's Village. He then proceeded to dig out a video camera. Meanwhile a Capitol announcement blared on T. V.

"Panem. We have an announcement. Because of the treason committed by Mark Veer, champion of the 34th Hunger Games, every family he conferenced with over the Victory Tour has been disposed of. As has his family. No longer will victors be able to conference with families of fallen tributes. Let this be a reminder to all of you. Panem today. Panem Tomorrow. Panem Forever" Mark collapsed on the couch, but then he stood again and turned on the camera.

"I'm ready to come with you guys. Just a second." He turned to the camera, set on a table that will be hidden until a rebel found it, along with Lily's original letter and the rest of the remaining stuff from the games. On top was the mockingjay pin. Now it was time for his last words. "Twenty four children get sent to the Arena each year. Twenty three are sent home in a coffin. That's the way it goes, huh? Why? Why are children sent to die? What are we accomplishing?!" Mark took a breath. "I made a stupid mistake in the arena: I made friends with some of the other tributes." Mark pulled some pictures out of his pockets. "That was Sam. He was a gentle giant, the sweetest guy you'd ever meet. He was killed in an explosion. I can't even describe the scene. This is Ellie. She was like the big sister of us all. She was killed falling off a cliff in an effort to save someone else. What was the exact wording they used? Oh yeah, subcranial hemorrhage. For those of you who don't know, that means bleeding in her brain. The peacekeepers were, ah, generous enough to show me the scans. Those were...interesting to look at, for everyone. This next one is my brother, Liam. He died heroically, too. Heck, all of them did. Lily was the last to go. She killed herself, partially because she couldn't bear to go on, partially because she wanted me to win, I guess. It's just so stupid. None of them deserved to die, no one does. The world would be better without the Games and, most of all, without the Capitol. If President Snow is watching this, I hope you die in the most painful way possible."

Mark spits at the camera, and turns it off.

He closes his eyes as the peacekeepers broke in the door. He hears machine guns; it's over in seconds.