13.

Kim.

I sucked DeVante's dick last night and by the way he was groaning and breathing all hard, I knew it wouldn't be the last time.

My plan to tie down Al with a baby didn't work out as I had planned after he had founded out that I was also having affair with Suge Knight. I wasn't much of the groupie type but I had bills that needed to be paid. Don't get me wrong, Al loaned me a few hundreds here and there but that just wasn't cutting it. A girl has to keep her hair and nails done. On top of that, I had to look decent when it came to my clothes. My affair with Suge was becoming more of a relationship since he would fly me out every other weekend. I was with him more than I was with Al. Suge knew how to take care of me, financially and physically. Once Al founded out, he kicked me out of his house and I had to move back in with my roommate, Faith. She was an aspiring singer and songwriter, always telling me how one day she was going to move to Los Angeles and get a record deal. I believed, too. And, I was going with her. She was going to be my ticket if not DeVante. All I had to do was get him to come over one more time and I was set.

DeVante's a sweet guy and all but he's no Suge. He's not a real gangsta, he just dresses like one and puts on this persona when he's in public. But in private, he was this soft-spoken gentleman. Always showering his girlfriends with gifts and flowers, all that cliche romantic shit. He wasn't my type but I had to play along if I wanted this to work in my favor. Me and Suge had been plotting on how we were going to get Jodeci to join Death Row. Not that he really wanted the rest of them, he just wanted DeVante saying that he could make a fortune off of his talent. The plan was for me to form this false relationship with him and introduce him to Suge so he can persuade him to leave Uptown and move to LA. Once that was done, I'm supposed to get paid $100k.

By the way things were looking, I'd have my check in no time.

***
( a week later )

DeVante.

"Yo, D. Tell K-Ci his knees ashy. He think I'm lyin'", Dalvin said as he pointed toward K-Ci's legs which were coated with what looked to be white powder. I had never seen a nigga's skin so dry in my life. As much as I didn't want to let him walk out the crib like that and embarrass himself in front of his date, I also didn't want to help his ass out because he swung at me the other night. Decisions, decisions. I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't see nothin' wrong wit'em."

Dalvin looked at me with confusion, his face slightly scrunched as he glanced down at K-Ci's knees then back at me, "What the hell you mean you don't see-." He paused, pacin' around the living room briefly before walkin' to the kitchen and comin' back in with a can of Crisco. With the lid off, he dug his hand into the can and began to walk closer to K-Ci.

"Chill, chill, chill!", K-Ci blurted as he stepped back, moving around the couch.

"Nah, b. I ain't lettin' you do this to yourself no mo'! Enough is enough", Dalvin replied, brushin' past JoJo who stood with a bag of Lays chips in his hand, chewin' while he watched them. JoJo looked over at me and I walked to where he stood, holdin' my hand out and he hands me a few chips from the bag. I stood there, eatin' and watchin' along with him. By this time, K-Ci was standin' on the sofa screamin' while Dalvin slapped big chunks of Crisco onto his slim legs. "Now rub that shit in!", he yelled. He mumbled under his breath as he headed back to the kitchen to wash his hands. What the hell just happened? These niggas crazy.

K-Ci panted as he rubbed the Crisco on his legs that now looked like a slab of ribs at a family BBQ.

This was the kind of shit that happened whenever we were together. But, I wasn't trippin'. It kept me entertained. It also helped keep my mind off of Rhonda. Shit. Now I'm thinkin' about her again.

Rhonda.

JD had finally called us after an entire week, claiming that he was busy with other artists.

I kept telling the girls I didn't trust him but they told me I was just being paranoid.

We arrived to the studio around 3:37pm, seeing a female with honey blonde braids and baggy clothes sitting next to JD at the soundboard. She tapped his shoulder, "There they go."

He spun around in his chair, his elbows propped up on the armrests, "What's up, ladies?" The girls greeted him with enthusiasm while I just nodded. The female beside him gave me a smug smile and turned around toward the soundboard. "So, this is Shawntae. Shawntae, this is Fayze and Rhonda. She'll be here to help you out when I'm out of town. I showed her all the ropes and she knows what she's doing. As far as producin', well, that's somethin' that only I can do for you." Shawntae shot him a look and he chuckled. "Anyway, let's get started. Here's the song." He pressed a button on the soundboard and the song played through the speakers. It was a different sound. Different from what I had originally had in mind for it. Immediately, I grew frustrated. I worked hard on creating the chords and he replaced it with some....some bullshit. I saw the girls exchange looks as they sat quietly until the song was over. I knew they weren't going to say anything but I decided to just sit back and see if they were going to stand up for themselves. One thing I hated most was looking like the bad guy because they didn't want to speak up.

After a long period of silence, JD clapped his hands together as he looked at us, "So, ladies. What you think?"

I remained quiet. Melissa sighed, "I mean, this don't sound like what we recorded."

"I know", he said.

She laughed dryly, "Okay? So, why did you change everything?"

"I didn't change everything. I kept the vocals", he replied.

"You know what... Fuck this. Rho, you were right. He pretty much removed your shit so you can't get credit. Well newsflash, JD, this version is whack. Whacker than that cheap ass chain you keep rockin'." She stood up from her chair and walked out of the studio room and the other girls followed.

I shook my head, looking at him, "It's been nice but I'd appreciate it if you remove all the vocals and gave me the original tape back. We'll take this to someone else who appreciates what we have to offer."

He sat there with a stupid facial expression before gesturing to Shawntae to give us some privacy. Once she left, he made his way over to where I stood, closing in on me. "Now, if you want to be a star, you ain't gonna' get there by any local record producer, Rhonda. You know that, right?", he inquired with a odd look in his eye.

"Yeah, but if you think we're going to accept this shit, you're buggin'", I replied.

His hand caressed my arm and I immediately brushed him off. He chuckled, "I'm your way in. Give me what I want....and I might give you want you want." I scoffed and spat in his face, forgetting about even getting the tape back and storming out.

Author's note:

This is Shawntae (Da Brat)