34.

Rhonda.

The news of Nasir, Lonnie, and Earl's death had me feeling relieved but it was mixture of something else. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. According to the news, they were the three guys who robbed DeVante and K-Ci, however, the whole thing about them being the ones who were involved in the incident that took place at my apartment was false. I knew it wasn't them. I had heard their voices before and it in no way sounded like the man who...you know.

I stared at the screen, deep in thought but it was cut short once DeVante appeared, his eyes puffy with bags as if he hadn't been getting any sleep and his taper fade had grown out, the top of his hair longer than the rest so it was pulled back and left uncombed. He looked a mess. Oh no, baby. What is you doing? I scrunched my face up a bit as I continued to look at the screen, seeing Tupac and Suge walking out of the building behind him as he's stopped by news reporters.

"So, how does it feel knowing that your attackers were murdered?", one asked, holding the mic to his lips.

He shrugged, briefly glancing back at Suge before answering the reporter's question, "Well, you know, I'm just glad that they're no longer able to roam the streets and harm other people. Not sayin' that murder is right but, everybody has to eventually face the consequences for their actions, you know what I'm sayin'?" He seemed a little off, and I would expect so since he looked the way he did. I wondered what was going on with him.

The news reporter continued talking and asking more questions. "Do you believe the allegations stating that the three males were also involved in the rape of Rhonda Baker?" I cringed at the word, tempted to just turn the television off. The last thing I wanted was to relive what happened and I knew that eventually, someone was going to ask me about it again.

"Definitely. Who else would it be? Nasir was her ex-boyfriend and after she broke up with him, he tried to kill her. I wouldn't put it past a man like him to pull somethin' like that. His friends were just as dangerous", DeVante responded, his eyes avoiding the camera. I could tell that he didn't feel comfortable talking about it, especially not to the public knowing that I may be watching. "Now if you would excuse me, I gotta' get goin'", he said as he started to walk away from the cameras, Tupac and Suge following behind as the cameramen kept focus on him while he got in the car. The news channel cut back to its live feed and the anchors spoke on the subject a bit more. I sighed, turning off the television once my cellphone began to rang.

I answered the phone only to hear a bunch of commotion and a screaming DeVante, furrowing my eyebrows as I stood up from the couch, "H-Hello?"

"Don't fuckin' test me!", was all I could hear him yell before there was a sound of something crashing into a set of drums.

Melissa spoke with her mouth to the phone, seeming to be closer to DeVante than before, "D, calm down! What's wrong wit' you?"

"She's what's wrong! She need to get her ass the fuck outta' here!", he spat back.

Who was he talking about?

Suddenly, I could hear Static chime in, "Big bro, come on. Don't let her or anybody get to you like that. This ain't you, man. This ain't the D I know."

"Man, fuck that bitch! She ain't a part of Swing Mob no more! I said that shit and I meant it!", DeVante replied, continuing to yell.

I figured I'd better try to get Melissa's attention before things got out of hand more than they already were, "HELLO?"

He was still yelling out something but I didn't bother trying to make out what he was saying anymore.

Screaming into the phone once again, I hoped to get some type of response, "HELLO?"