Chapter 16

The car ride back was fairly silent. It was mostly filled with shy glances, and pitiful attempts to create conversation. For as easy as it was for the two of them to talk at dinner, they were both having problems finding a topic to work with.

Admittedly, Gumball knew why he couldn't talk about anything. None of the things that he would be comfortable talking about are what he really wants to talk about.

'What are we now?' was the question that went through Gumball's head over and over and over. The whole time during the dinner, he couldn't help but question Marshall's motives. Now, he knew that the word motive was far more sinister than how he should describe it, but it was hard for him not to. He and Marshall have been a mix of being at each other's necks, and something that was a form of flirting. The way that Marshall basically flip-flopped between one or the other made it difficult to gauge how he would be like in a relationship. As far as Gumball is aware, Marshall has had only one actual relationship, which was with Ashley, and he doesn't even know what Marshall was like with her.

At the end of the day, Gumball really did like Marshall, and he hoped to glob that Marshall really liked him, too. But now it is still a question of what is their relationship defined as? Are they actually together? Testing the boundaries? Or are they something completely different?

Gumball sighed as he looked at the attractive raven-haired teen sitting next to him. He looked away before he stared for too long, opting for his window. At times like this, he wished he could read minds.

"I... forgot the way to your house." Marshall said.

Gumball snapped out of his thought and looked at his surroundings. They were actually really close to his house. "Left here." Marshall made his car do just so. "And then my house is that one."

"Huh." Marshall said, pulling his car to the side of the road to park.

"I'm actually surprised. You really weren't all that lost." Gumball said, smiling.

"I am, too." Marshall said. He turned off the ignition, and the two of the exited the car.

Gumball fished his house keys out of his pockets. He opened the door. "Pardon the mess," He said, "I wasn't expecting a guest." He walked inside, casually kicking a strewn pillow that was on the floor for some reason. Looking behind him, he saw that Marshall was looking around, and taking in his surroundings.

"This is a lot better than my house, if it makes you feel any better." Marshall said, closing the door.

"That seems a little concerning." Gumball said,

"Eh. It's just what it is." Marshall said.

Not knowing what else to say, they awkwardly stood looking at each other blankly.

Gumball cleared his throat. "Do you want to sit down? Something to drink?"

"Oh! Sure!" Marshall said, walking immediately to the couch. He plopped down. "What do you have to drink?"

"I think we have water, milk, maybe a soda or two, and some apple juice, but I don't know if you'd want that."

"I would love some apple juice." Marshall said.

"Why do you want apple juice of all things?"

"Because milk is gross, I already had soda, and water is just boring."

Gumball paused, trying to understand the absurdity of what Marshall said, and gave up. "Alright." He turned, heading for the kitchen.

"Thank you!"

Gumball open one of his kitchen cabinets, getting a glass for him and Marshall. When he was pouring it, he heard the front door open and shut with a bang. Gumball jumped, spilling some of the juice. He cursed under his breath as he tried to clean it up. When he figured out what was going on, the apple juice was forgotten. He entered the living room, and noticed that Marshall had disappeared. Gumball sighed, chalking up the fact the door slammed was because of that idiot. He walked back to the kitchen to get the drinks.