Ian's idea: Part.15

Harry Styles wandered home with a dark cloud hanging over his head.

Yes, he wanted: fame, fortune and adulation, but not at the expense of long-term love and happiness. His contract with The Dark Side expressly stated that he would have all the fame in the world, but never a lasting love.

As he dragged his heavy-hearted feet, he thought that he was starting to fall in love with Gwen Carter. But his deal wouldn't allow that to happen; unless, of course, he sliced Beth's throat in order to sever his contract.

But seriously, Harry just knew he could never cut her throat, could he?

The question halted him in his tracks and he murmured to himself, 'could I cut her throat?'

"Yes you could, but do you want to?"

The voice startled him from his deep thought and he looked up from the ground– it was Ian.

Ian's decay was now complete. His skeletal frame was hidden beneath layers of bulky clothing, and a scarf was wrapped around his skull, secured in place by a baseball cap.

"Beth's idea was way better than my idea; auditioning for those mad minds will be great practice for your gig with the sane folk," he said, taking off down the road.

Harry caught up with him, impressed with his skeletal agility. He also saw that people were looking at Ian, strangely, "Can people see you, now?" He asked.

"Yes, I'm visible when decay is complete." He chuckled, "But trust me, they might think I look odd bound up like this, but it would be another story if they saw me naked," he said.

"Are you a full on skeleton?" Asked Harry.

"Yup– I suppose I was lucky, cos I was quite skinny to begin with, my decay was swift." He explained, before adding, "So, answer my question, do you want to cut that girls throat to get out of you Dark Side Deal?" He asked, again.

Harry stopped and grabbed Ian's arm to prevent him marching onwards, "What do you think I should do?" He asked.

Ian was firm, "The decision has to be completely yours, without influence from others," he said. Harry noted how difficult it was to gauge his friend's real intention without being able to see and read his face. He realised how important our eyes are in revealing the truth.

Because Harry thought Ian's choice would be for him to NOT cut Beth's throat, so Harry would continue with the Deal and not be able to fall fully in love with Gwen Carter, with whom Ian was still madly in love, obviously.

But Harry decided not to mention this. Instead he let go of Ian's heavily padded bone and watched him amble away, exclaiming, "The choice is all yours, Harry!"

###

Harry played with his pasta, much to his mother's consternation, "Harry, it's your favourite, eat up," she said, slightly worried by her son's sudden lack of appetite. "I'm not that hungry, mum," he pushed the bowl towards her, "put some cling-film over it and I'll have it for lunch, tomorrow," he said.

She looked aghast, "But you've hardly touched it!" She exclaimed, before lowering her tone, "Harry, you're not being silly, like worrying about your weight, what with your audition coming up?" She asked, with concern.

Harry laughed, "Mum, I'm just not hungry, it's that simple; stop jumping to wrong conclusions– chill out," he said, leaving the kitchen and heading for a shower.

###

In the young person's Mental Health Institute, Gwen Carter was worried about Beth.

Beth sat on a beanbag in the middle of the visiting room, staring unflinchingly at the large clock on the wall. Gwen watched as she silently counted down every minute, while every fifteen minutes she announced: "three and a half hours to Harry's audition– three hours and fifteen minutes to Harry's audition..."

Gwen noticed that everyone in the institution seemed to retreat into their own world's in the mid afternoon, even the staff. So Beth was left alone to obsessively count down the time of Harry's arrival.

But Gwen was also being consumed by dark obsessive thinking: 'Would Harry decide to do as the man said, become a slicer to sever his contract with The Dark Side?'

Gwen looked at Beth silently counting on the beanbag and the reality washed over her, chilling her blood: 'Harry would have to murder Beth in order to be free! Could he, would he do that?'

###

In his bedroom, Harry kicked off his trainers, and then emptied his pockets, throwing the contents on to his bed. Immediately his eyes focussed on the black handle of the flick knife. He picked it up, pressed the button and flinched at the violence of the blade's thrust.

He stared at the blade, which glinted in the dying light, and mesmerised by its glisten, he realised how much he wanted out of his Deal with The dark Side.

In the shower, Harry allowed the warm water wash over him, and as it did, he thought to himself, 'I'm going to do it, I have to, I've got no other choice!'

###

Beth's excited squealing ripped through the visiting room of the Young People's Mental Health Institute, "It's five o'clock, Harry will be here in an hour, I have to have a shower and get ready," she exclaimed, excitedly running towards her room.

The warm water washed over Beth, whilst the steam enveloped her in a cloak of hope– 'I will beat all my issues and will succeed in this world, with Harry right by my side,' she told herself, as she washed her hair.

###

Harry walked slowly back to the Institute. He wondered if The Dark Side had already taken his soul, because he he was, actually on his way to murder an innocent young girl for his own selfish reasons.

He abruptly STOPPED– and he literally shook himself, 'don't be stupid Harry, you can't do this,' he told himself, tossing the flick knife into a nearby bin.

He picked up his pace, feeling a weight of burden leave him. But he soon became aware of someone pursuing him, and before he had chance to look around, he felt a sharpness tug at his leg, "Leave it, Bertie, let go!" Shouted the man.

Bertie the dog, obediently let go of Harry's leg and sat at his feet wagging his tail. The man had a broad smile on his face, "Here Harry, you accidently dropped this in the bin," he said, handing him back the flick knife.

Harry didn't take it, "I'm not doing it, I'm not a murderer," he said, emphatically. It was then that Harry noticed the man was always smiling, disconcertingly so, "But remember Harry, you'll become a Slicer like me." He ran his finger across his throat, "You kill her and she'll be dead for a maximum of five minutes, just enough time for her to do the Deal with The Dark Side, then she'll be back and no one will be the wiser." He pushed the flick knife back towards him, "You know the score Harry, you've experienced it," he said.

Harry really did want to be free to love Gwen Carter. He stared at the knife as the man said, "And remember, your Deal assures your global fame, but if you do break the Deal by becoming a Slicer, you still might make fame and fortune on your own merits," he said, with a wink.

Harry took the knife.

He walked with a determined stride towards the Young Person's Mental Health Institute.

###

Beth had just finished her make-up, when she heard the ringing sound that indicated the beginning of evening visiting hour.

She ran her fingers through her hair and checked her appearance one final time. She was ready, ready to meet Harry, and more– she was determined to get Harry on his own. Even if it was only for a few minutes, Beth wanted Harry to herself...

 Even if it was only for a few minutes, Beth wanted Harry to herself