Chapter 4: The Sound of the Rain

It had been a week since you last saw him, yet Suwa lingered in your mind. Valentine's Day was coming up soon and you didn't know what to get for him or even how to find him. The rain trickled down your window in your bedroom and there was no trace of sunlight as you sat on your bed thinking of how to reach him. Your thoughts were interrupted by a knock on your door, "(Y/N)? Are you awake?" It was your mom talking through your bedroom door, "Yeah." She continued, "Could you run a couple of errands for me if you're not busy?" You weren't busy and it would be good for you to get out, "Sure, why not?" You hopped off of your bed and threw on some rain boots and a raincoat. As you exited, your mother yelled for you to be careful and not to take too long.

The clouds were beginning to let the warm light of the Sun shine through, so you didn't bring your umbrella. All the way you were thinking of Suwa and how you could find him again. You thought of maybe going to the same diner Mason and his friends hang out, but you immediately ruled that one out; Running into Mason again after all that happened probably wasn't the best idea. Maybe you could check his favorite spot? Your thoughts were interrupted when you walked right into someone. Rubbing your head, you immediately grew flustered and apologized. Looking up you saw someone you never expected to see again, "(Y/N)?" A dark haired gentleman with eyes as grey as the clouds in the sky looked down at you surprised to run into you. The Sun broke through the clouds as you stared at him speechless, "Kakeru?"

Suwa walked up, waving to Kakeru as soon as he was in sight, "Hey Kakeru, ready for the-" He stopped as Kakeru stepped away, revealing you as he turned towards Suwa with a small smile nodding, "Mmhmm." Suwa's expression changed to a look of fear and confusion as he saw you, "(Y/N)?" Kakeru looked back at you smiling, "Oh, you know her too? We dated a while back, but then I moved up here with my mom." You looked at Kakeru with surprise, "So, you moved here?" Suwa looked down with worry as you two caught up, what was he thinking about? Was he worried that you finally found him? With Kakeru here, you couldn't talk to Suwa the way you wanted. What if he didn't care for you the same way? What if you embarrass him in front of Kakeru?

"Hey (Y/N)? Do you need someone to walk you home?" Suwa had concern in his eyes when he looked at you, "It's about to rain soon." You smiled with a nod, "I wouldn't mind that at all, thank you." You turned to Kakeru, "Nice to see you again." He smiled after what you said, but you had turned away to Suwa before you saw it. The tall red head turned to Kakeru with a smile, "Tell the others to go on without me, I'll catch up." Kakeru shouted from behind "Alright! Take care!" You both started towards downtown and it started to drizzle, "So you know Kakeru?" Suwa was looking down, away from you as if he were in deep thought, "Yeah, we were friends when we were little. But a while ago he moved away. I haven't talked to him since." He nodded while listening to you with slight fear in his eyes, "Oh, okay." He seemed unsteady and it worried you, "Hey Suwa, are you alright?" He looked at you and immediately changed his attitude, "Oh I'm fine! Uh, I was just thinking what a small world it is!" Scratching his head, he laughed to himself and gave you a genuine smile, "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

It started to pour, and raindrops landed on top of your head. You realized you didn't have your umbrella when the raindrops lifted, "Forget something?" You looked up to see Suwa standing over you with an umbrella and a goofy expression. You took a breath of relief and smiled, "How did you know I'd forget mine today?" He looked down at you nervously, "I just had a feeling I'd need it today." You walked closely together under the umbrella as you went through downtown to run your errands. While in town, you two were walking past a sports shop when Suwa stopped dead in his tracks. His eyes were fixated on a sports bag that was displayed in the window, "Wow, that's a really cool bag." You smiled at him as he was admiring the bag, "If only I had brought my money! I've been saving up for you!" You laughed and Suwa joined in laughter as he pointed to a restroom, "I'll be right back."

The tall red head ran back to you and noticed your shopping bag, "Sorry, were you waiting long? Oh, found something you liked?" You nervously looked up at him and thought of something to say, "It's a secret." Suwa smiled at you and stopped prying, "Alright, it's a secret then." The Sound of the Rain surrounded both of you and there was a light mist in the air that hit your cheeks. A distant sound caught your ears as you walked close to Suwa. "Do you hear that?" He looked down at you confused, "Hear what?" The faint sound of a guitar grew louder as you walked by a man playing on his patio, sheltered from the rain. You stopped to listen to the guitar and the rainfall harmonizing together. "Hey Suwa, can we stay here for a little bit?" He wrapped his arm around you and pulled you close, "Sure."  You both stood there listening to the guitar play along with the rain wishing this day would never end.

                  To be Continued...