Chapter 8

“Then come with me.”

He grabbed her hand, and pulling her out the window. He pulled her body flush to his, putting that odd little warm spark to use. Just by wrapping his arms around her, they could soar through the cold night, diving in and out of clouds, and marveling at the constellations. They were crystal clear, and she pointed out the various shapes to him as they flew.

Soon, they were lighting down on a platform of Tooth’s palace. It was awash in color from both the tiles and early morning light. A little fairy buzzed over to Jack immediately,  and it stared curiously at Ivy. 

“Hello there, little one. My name is Ivy.”

The little fairy squeaked and flew away. Tooth peered gently around a pillar, and something tore at her heart, a little stab of jealousy. Jack wasn’t even hers to begin with, so why she was feeling this way was a bit of a mystery.

“Jack? Are you there?” Her voice was soft, softer than usual. Slowly she walked around the pillar, wings fluttering down to the lower platform. “Who’s this?”

“This is Ivy. The one I told you about.”

A small blush crossed Ivy’s features, but it wasn’t entirely noticeable due to the particular flush one got from being outside in the cold.

“Hi. Are you,” her voice was hesitant, “are you really the tooth fairy?”

“Yes I am. You stopped believing in me a long time ago.”

Tooth smiled graciously, wrapping her arms around her small frame. Coming face to face with a non-believer could be tough.

“Yeah, I guess I did. My sister was exactly the nicest person to be around.”

An awkward silence filled the space. 

“Do you mind if I explore for a few moments? I’ve never been to a palace before.”

“Of course not, dear. Just don’t touch the teeth.”

Ivy wandered off, and Tooth turned angrily to Jack.

“Why would you bring her here?”

“I thought you might like to meet her, you know, get to know her. You said it yourself, you get lonely being the only girl. And if the Man in the Moon chose her, you’ll be seeing her a whole awful lot, don’t you think?”

“Just because a shadow that looked like her appeared in the crystal doesn’t mean she’s going to be a guardian. I don’t like her, Jack. Something seems off about her.”

“You don’t even know her! How could you already not like her?”

“And you know her so well, in what, the 24 hours it’s been since you first saw her?”

“Well, I know her better than you do. And I thought you of all people wouldn’t judge her before you really knew her.”

“You know what, Jack? Sometimes it seems like you don’t know me that well either.” She flew off in a huff, straight towards her mosaic. Tooth didn’t see Ivy standing by the edge of the pond until it was too late. The fairy careened into the girl, sending her for an involuntary swim. Ivy resurfaced with a gasp, spluttering and wiping water out of her eyes. Tooth scooted back from the edge a little, not a word leaving her lips as she watched the blonde girl leave the water.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know this was a private place for you. I’ll go find Jack.” Ivy ducked her head, trying to walk past the fairy.

“It’s fine, this isn’t exactly private. You don’t have to go.”

“I kind of get the feeling you don’t like me very much, but you do like Jack.”

“That easy to see, huh?” Tooth grinned sheepishly, blushing and looking at the ground. 

“Yeah, I could see it. But I’ve always been sort of sensitive to that kind of thing. Body language, you know, that kind of thing. I don’t think anyone else could see it though. Don’t worry.” 

Emboldened by that statement, Tooth opened up to Ivy. 

“That’s you on that mosaic.”  

*A/N Hey guys! You were so close to 10 votes! Oh well, I promised you an update on Tuesday, and it's still Tuesday, So, 10 votes maybe for an update Saturday? Please?*