Chapter 31

Chapter 31

“How did you get out?” Cody asked Pippi, almost feeling her anxiety lessen with each moment.

Pippi closed her eyes and soaked in the silver rays of light before replying, “Like I’m sure you’ve guessed, Mordon and that other man, Lars I’m assuming, stole the keys from that bandit guard and released me from my cave. Since I’m sure you’re curious about what I mean, each cave is blocked off by a door with a designated key, except the main cavern that you were in.”

“I didn’t realize that the tunnel had gotten large enough to be considered a cavern, and how did you know Lars was with us when I never mentioned his name?” Cody asked, growing a little more interested in the elf before him.

The woman sighed, though what emotion it was coming from was unknown to Cody, before she said, “I have some questions myself, about you. Before I tell you anything more I have to learn more about you. Mordon may be very skeptical of strangers, it is his job after all, but he seemed to easily recognize you as a friend when I’m sure you haven’t known each other long. Why? Why does mistrustful Mordon trust you so openly?”

“Well, Mora had a vision-”

“Not good enough,” Pippi interrupted almost instantly. “I’ll admit that that woman has a pretty good eye for the future, but even fortunetellers can be wrong, and Mordon knows that more than anyone. Even if her vision of you was very, very good, it would take a lot to convince Mordon.

Then, Cody remembered something. Mora had told him that Pippi was looking for a place to stay for a little while. Also, by his understanding, all elves were in some sort of contact with Mrana Akano Furista and the other elves that inhabited it, and somehow Cody had forgotten what he was told to do in situations similar to this, as he recalled Heyrick saying to him before. Maybe not the exact same situation, but he knew exactly what he should say to save him from what could turn out to be a great deal of explaining. It would probably be best for everyone if he just did things quickly when time was so very short.

“I’m willing to bet that you were going to the town of Morgran for a reason, not just to stay there for a little while. Would the name Blackscales mean anything to you?” Cody asked, feeling a sly smile tug at his lips.

Pippi’s deep blue eyes lit up in surprise and she seemed very skeptical. But as she looked him over, they filled with recognition, curiosity, but chiefest of all, pride. A broad grin crossed her features and could probably easily be seen even by a human without night vision. She stood upright and stared at him with growing curiosity, all other emotions, even pride, seeming to dissolve from her face.

“No doubt that you are Blackscales, and the dragon that I assume has a dark shade, judging by your title, is the sole distraction,” Pippi said with a somehow smug grin.

Cody smiled as well before replying, “Correct. His name is Inferno, and as we speak he and Mora are slowly getting rid of the bandits to come meet us and bring us away.”

“The perfect plan, aside from the fact that I doubt he can carry us all far. He can’t be more than a moon old, but I guess he could alternate between flying and running and still get us out easily and safely.”

Cody nodded and said, “So you really were sent to Morgran to intercept me, right? How did you get tangled in with the bandits, and what will you do now that you’re free and found me?”

Pippi thought for a moment before giving her response, “By now I assume Dongoithu has kidnapped the guards that Heyr-Heyrick asked you to bring, like we all expected, so you’ll be chasing after them. If you want I’ll follow you, or go back to Mrana Akano Furista. As for the other part, that’s a slightly longer story and should probably be saved until we are out of harm’s way.”