Chapter 32

Chater 32

            Cody was completely unsure about what he was feeling. Mordon’s words made sense now that they discovered that he had been poisoned.  For some reason, the rider felt an overwhelming sense of despair and fear, but since the guard had been so insulting to Inferno, he didn’t expect such feelings. Even the dragon seemed to be a little sad about it.

            Mora suddenly ran up to her brother and gave him a big hug before saying, “We’ll get you to Morgran and you’ll be fine!”

            Mordon shook his head and sat up straighter without difficulty before saying, “I don’t know what kind of poison this could be, so the healers of Morgran won’t know either. Besides, I probably won’t last more than the rest of the day. As far as I’ve seen, even Inferno won’t be able to get me there in time if there was a cure, unless someone was left behind to get killed by the bandits.”

            While Mora started crying over what her brother had said, Inferno butted into Cody’s thoughts, “He used my actual name. Why do you suppose he did that?”

            “I don’t know,” Cody replied honestly. “But I’m sure he’ll address that later.”

            “What can we do?” Pippi asked Mordon sadly, somehow identifying him as the true leader of their little group.

            Mordon smiled and replied, “My only chance for survival is the bandits, because they are the only ones within reach that can save me.”

            “But they’ll kill you!” Mora protested angrily, but the true heartbreak in her voice was evident.

            “I would rather die a quick and painless death than a slow and painful death that the poison will cause. Plus, if I actually went with you it would only slow you down and it would be possible for the bandits to catch us all, and then where would we be? Besides, I’m betting that they don’t want to kill me, so if I can become their prisoner to save everyone, I will,” came Mordon’s logical response.

            “But then I won’t know whether you’re alive or not, and I could spend my whole life not knowing!” Mora wailed.

            Mordon gave her a stern look before saying, “I think that’s better than having us all be dead, isn’t it? Try not to think so selfishly, and realize that your feelings and my life are a small price to pay for all of their lives.”

            The whole scene was somewhat uncomfortable for Cody, Inferno, and probably Lars, who hadn’t really known Mordon. And what little they had gotten to know of him was that he was very mistrustful and rude. That was enough to increase the confusion in their thoughts as well.

            “Why are you suddenly thinking more for us now?” Cody asked, interrupting something that Mora had been saying.

            Mordon looked at him carefully before replying, “I guess I just finally realized that you were trustworthy, especially after you all risked your lives for this rescue. And I suppose if Pippi is so ready to accept you, I should be too.”

            “Where will I go?” Mora asked, a tear streaming down her face.

            Mordon gave her a warm, comforting smile before replying, “Go with Cody and help him save his friends. Then you might all be able to come back and save me, eh?”

            Mora’s fiery eyes glittered with hope and she nodded as more tears began to fall down her cheek. She held onto her brother’s hand as if it was a lifeline, before he pulled it away and stood. Then Mordon patted Inferno’s shoulder thoughtfully before walking over to the tree that Cody had slept against the other night, and he leisurely sat down once more.