Shepherd's Beauty

"You wouldn't ever leave me"

"Right?" 

Owen's head turned in confusion, "Why would I ever leave you?" 

"No reason.. But I doubt death really takes your opinion into account" said Amelia as she snuggled deeper into his chest 

"Yeah.. But death is gonna have to be pretty fucking strong to ever take me away from you" 

Amelia moved her head, her dark blue eyes made contact with Owen's light blue, he could tell she was nervous. She gently slid the wedding ring on her finger, up and down. She bit on her lip, and he could see that the calm before the storm was beginning to end. 

"What's wrong Amelia?"

"Uh.." Amelia chuckled as she gently moved herself off of his chest. "You know when Derek was going back and forth from Washington and Seattle" 

"Well that company.. It wants me. They don't care about my druggie past, they want me to work." 

Owen closed his eyes, he rubbed his hands together and leaned further back into the couch. "Amelia.. What's wrong with Seattle? I-I don't want to hold you back.. But I don't know if it's good for you to go back there

"Owen. Don't worry, it's just like you said. Death is gonna have to be pretty fucking strong to ever, and I mean ever. Take me away from you" said Amelia as she slithered her hand and locked it with Owen's. 

Owen felt fucking stupid to listen to her. Amelia, she was a Shepherd. And Shepherd's have infamously bad luck. And there she was, lying on a hospital bed. Fucking tubes going down her throat and needles puncturing her veins, Owen held back tears while his hands tightly grasped onto hers.. 

"God.. Amelia, you promised" 

He couldn't blame Amelia, Amelia and Derek's fate were tied. They could never be apart for so long, and he wasn't surprised that Amelia ran after Derek. If Derek ran towards the pearly gates... Well Amelia was going to beat him there. 

"Owen. You know Amelia wouldn't want this" said Meredith as she entered the room 

"Well you know what. Death doesn't take her fucking opinion into account" said Owen harshly 

"But you do" 

"Meredith.. You don't fucking understand.. I love her.. S-She promised, she fucking promised. She said she wouldn't ever leave me" 

"You know what happens to Shepherds, when you marry one, you have to understand that they have the worst of luck" 

"No matter how many promises. No matter how many pacts, or post it notes or anything else. Shepherds will always have death chasing them" 

Owen remained focused on Amelia, his hands bringing up her cold hand and kissing it gently. 

If Amelia was going to chase after Derek, it wasn't Owen's place to hold her back.. So he signed the forms, and the tubes and needles were pulled out of her body, he gently pushed her long dark hair and begged deep inside his heart to see her dark blue eyes again. He placed a kiss on her forehead.. And watched as the machine rang a long, monotone siren as he felt his love slip away from his hands. 

Oh Shepherds and their lovers. Beware of the Shepherd's beauty, as their beauty is so great. It even attracts death.