Chapter 9

I went back around to the front of the tent to see that everyone was milling about looking confused and disgusted, of the bodies no doubt.

A little girl was crying up against the main tent, and I recognized that it was Lacy. I walked over to her and placed my hand on her frail shoulder. She flinched and looked up sharply.
"Oh," she said breathily "it's just you."

"Yeah, it just me." I rubbed her shoulder slowly. "Why are you crying? We're free now."

She turned to face me fully and hugged me. Her head nuzzled into my abdomen.

"I don't have anywhere to go." Her voice was muffled by my body. "I'm homeless again."

She started to cry again. I knelt down to her eye level. I looked her dead in the eye and said: "I won't let that happen to you."

Then a few tears leaked out of my eyes as I thought about how hollow that promise was. Master Ciel would never let me keep her, let alone Johnny. They would end up starving, cold, and destitute again.

I can't understand why I feel this was about these children I've barely known for more than a month. My best guess is to chalk it down to motherly instinct.

I pulled Lacy close and surveyed the scene surrounding us. Most of the people had sat down, some wandered off, and some started to raid the kitchen tent. They obviously were not squeamish about the dead people just a few feet from them.

Savages.

I sat down and pulled Lacy into my lap. I wrapped my arms around her, clasping my hand together in front of her. My thought ran around my head wildly: Johnny, Sebastian, death, Lacy, survival, money, raising children. But most importantly I wondered how Sebastian managed to kill so many people in such a short about of time. It's just not humanly possible.

Two hours pass, we still sit by the main tent. Many of the people have left already. Lacy fell asleep, tired from the trauma. I know she saw the bodies; it was impossible not too. Sebastian hasn't come back to get me.

I start to get worried. I don't know how to get back to the mansion from here.

The sun starts to set. I rouse Lacy by lifting her into my arms to take her somewhere not so cold. Her ears twitch, so do mine. I can hear footsteps. They are fast and coming from the direction Sebastian left to.

Then there he is a shadow against the sunset. He approaches us and looks disapprovingly at Lacy. I hold her tight.

"Who is she?" He asks politely.

"Her name is Lacy." Lacy yawns and rubbed her eye.

"Well, put her down," he gestures to the ground. "we have to go."

"No. I can't leave her here," I swing Lacy gently in my arms "She would never make it."

"The master would never let you keep her, I could barely get him to let the boy stay, even for medical care."

"But she's like me, if we train her she could help in the manor and she could find the pests if any her in the house, she could be really useful."

"We'll talk about this at the mansion." He said with a 'let's get this over with' voice. "I prepared a carriage to bring you back."

I adjusted Lacy in my arms and started following Sebastian to the nearby road. There was a plain carriage waiting there. Sebastian climbed up to the seat, leaving me to get into the cab on my own.

I scowl and think to myself.
Some fine butler he is.

I heft Lacy and attempt to open the door. Once I get it open, I get in, place Lacy gently on the seat, and close the door. Just a few seconds after the door closes Sebastian clucks the horses and we start moving with a jolt.

Why is he being so mean?

Lacy snuggles into my side and sighs. We could be anywhere in England. This is going to be a long ride.