[secret]

se·cret
/ˈsēkrit/
noun

》something that is kept or meant to be kept unknown or unseen by others《

》things most would prefer to take to their graves, often a heavy burden to carry alone《

"Ethan." You whispered, a lump forming in your throat as you looked at the injured boy.

"Are you the Princess Y/N?" A brunette man in phycisian's clothes addressed you from the other side of the room. "I don't believe we've met, I'm Doctor McLoughlin."

His accent made it clear that he was from a different land, but you didn't even process anything else about the doctor himself, instead your eyes never left Ethan's weak form. "I wish we could've met under different circumstances." Dr. McLoughlin kept speaking quietly, walking over to Ethan to carefully change a bandage on his forehead.

"What happened to him?" You finally managed to croak out, taking unsure steps to the other side of his bed.

"When he was brought in, I was told it was from the fight with the bandits on your way home from Fischbach."

You shook your head fervently, you were there, he didn't get a single blow to him. "No, this had to have happened after we arrived back in Gizmonia."

The doctor frowned, inspecting his wounds again. "I suppose it could have happened more recently than that. Now that I'm looking closer, it appears to resemble beatings I've seen on prisoners rather than a fight. He has no defensive wounds." He gestured to Ethan's hands, where his knuckles weren't bloodied or even irritated, he didn't get to fight for himself.

Tears filled your eyes, and the doctor pulled up a chair for you to sit at his bedside. "Would you stay with him while I fetch my assistant? He must have overslept in his quarters again."

"Of course." You nodded, thankful that the doctor seemed to understand that you wanted to be alone with Ethan without you having to say it aloud.

He bowed to you once before exiting, and you took this opportunity to tenderly brush some of Ethan's hair from his forehead and set to work untangling the parts that had been matted down with blood. It was the least you could do for him, it was probably your fault he was here like this. Somebody must have found out. There was a particularly tough knot you couldn't get out, and at your attempt, Ethan's eyelashes started fluttering open. He woke with a groan, and you immediately retracted your hand.

"I'm sorry! Did that hurt?" You apologized, and he looked over at you.

Ethan's face immediately broke into a small smile when he saw you. "Most of me hurts, it's okay. I'm just happy she didn't hurt you too, Y/N."

"Who hurt you, Ethan?"

His eyes went wide as he realized what he said, and he immediately shut his mouth, shaking his head. "Not important, what's important is that you're okay."

"Ethan, tell me who hurt you." You said sternly, and went back to the first day you met him, saying, "that's an order."

The familiar words caused him to laugh weakly before wincing, his sides probably hurt. "I'm hungry, My Lady. I will tell you after I eat. I promise."

You squeezed his hand momentarily, and just as you let it go, Dr. McLoughlin came back in, another brunette man behind him. "Well, good thing I brought some breakfast!" The doctor said jovially, holding a tray of breads and fruits. After seeing that you were still there, he began introducing his assistant. "Princess Y/N, this is Robin, my physician's assistant."