13

Alice

It has been three days since I got to know about Jake's father and ever since it hasn't left my mind. There were so many unanswered questions. Should I ask him? No, wrong idea. Should I ask Tony? Nope... I'll sound like an intruder.
I was so lost in my thoughts that I ran into someone.
"Hey you don't look quite fresh" Tony chuckled.
"Yeah..was awake writing an appropriate bio of our company" I said in my sleepy voice.
Honestly it wasn't entirely the truth. Most of my sleep was taken away by these thoughts about Jake. Seven years and he was still a mystery to me.
"Oh well I'm sure you must have written something great then."
"I hope so" I smiled.
"The editor of that business magazine is here. We have been called for a meeting" Tony said pointing towards the conference room.
"Now?" I groaned.
"Yep" he said apologetically.
Great there goes my plans to wake myself by a cup of coffee.

I went into the conference room sluggishly. Surprisingly everyone were already present. There was a middle aged woman sitting next to Jake and she hardly noticed me enter as her attention was directed entirely to her right. I took a seat next to Max and he whispered good morning into my ears. I smiled and as I looked up my eyes net Jake's who was looking at us intently.

"So I guess everybody is here..." Jake said after clearing his throat.
"I would like everyone to meet Ms. Gillies, the editor in chief of The business international." Jake said pointing towards the same woman to his left.
She smiled and blushed so hard which was totally unnecessary. I could see Bianca was getting a bit irritated as she inched closer towards Jake on the other side.
"Hello everyone" Ms. Gillies smiled.
I tried my best to give a genuine smile but it would just not happen.

"So Ms. Gillies had taken her time out so that she can discuss with us the article that she is planning to publish about our company. Ms. Gilles please carry on"
"Oh come on Jake..let's cut the formalities. Call me Miranda" she laughed flirtingly.
This is the most annoying opening speech ever.

So then she went on for full fifteen minutes about what all she has decided and I actually liked it. Instead of just an article she had decided to designate an entire section to our company. That would definitely give a better coverage to our work. Everybody was pleased with her ideas.
Well we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

"So this is all about the content plus I was thinking how about using the cover of the magazine too?" She suggested .
"It'll be very nice actually" Jake replied.
"So how about you feature in the cover?" She asked.
"Me?" Jake sounded surprised.
"Yeah why not? You keep featuring in various magazines and newspapers so how about making up to the cover this time? Your fan following is more than that of a Hollywood star" she winked as she said the last line.
"Okay if you say so" Jake laughed.
Aww... such humility.

"But I don't want to be featured alone.." Jake continued.
"Umm...then we can have a lady from your workplace with you on the cover. What say?" Miranda suggested.
"Sure. That'll be better" Jake agreed.
All eyes shifted to Bianca as she sat there smirking. She had probably even decided her outfit and makeup.
"So we need to do a photo shoot" Miranda said.
"Yeah.. about that. Tony?" Jake looked at Tony.
"Yeah I have a photographer on board. Tell me whenever you need him. He has a studio just down this street" Tony replied.
"Okay great then it's all settled" Jake said.
"Can I get the name of the one who'll be with you on the cover so that we can give a brief introduction about her too..if you have decided or else it can wait.." Miranda said as she got up to leave.
"Oh yeah I have the name... write it down. It's Alice Mayor" Jake said without any hesitation.
Miranda took note of my name as all eyes in the room shifted on me. I sat frozen in my place as it hit me out of nowhere. I was definitely not expecting it. I could see Bianca stabbing me inside of her head.
Definitely not a first.