14

Alice

I sat in my office as the same words echoed inside my mind for the hundredth time "She is just an employee and it will always be that way" It did hit my heart but I managed to pull it off Infront of him.
Why did I leave my phone inside? God! I didn't need to hear it.
I know it shouldn't bother me but hell it does. It does a lot and that is more annoying than that statement itself.
I tried distracting myself by replying to some emails, when my phone buzzed. It was Max and I was happy to see that as we haven't spoken to each other since the "good morning wishes" at the conference room.
Max- I hope you aren't busy?

Me- not really. What's the matter? Not in the building?

Max- No. Had to leave for some work. I'll return tomorrow. Can't miss your birthday.

Me- it's okay. Nothing special about it.

Max- It will always be special to me Alice, no matter what.

Me-  I wish I had a reason to be happy and excited about it.

Max- I hope you do tomorrow.

I smiled at his last message knowing that he just doesn't give up. He has always tried to make me feel good about my birthday but the only thing I am reminded of is my biggest loss. Although I never celebrate my birthday but Veronica and I have a movie night together at our apartment. This time I thought it would be good to invite Keira since she has been a support system ever since she joined.

"Hey any plans tonight?" I asked Keira walking up to her desk.
"Umm not really" she said.
"Great! Veronica and I have a movie night tonight so would you like to join?"
"Tonight? Umm...oh I just forgot. I had plans with family" she said hesitantly.
"But your family lives in California right?" I asked.
"Yeah right! Actually a distant cousin of mine lives here and they have invited me for dinner at their place. I'm so sorry cannot make it" she said apologetically.
"No problem. You enjoy" I smiled.
"By the way Alice are you fine? I mean you aren't ill right?" She asked holding me.
"Nothing is wrong. I'm good. What made you think that?"
"In the morning boss asked me about your health so I thought of confirming with you"
"Jak..I mean Mr. Brian asked about my health? Why? Is it a part of his 'employee' thing?" I rolled my eyes.
"Actually he did mention something like this...taking care of the employees is a part of his work." She said.

I mentally growled at myself for asking that question. I turned around to walk back into my cabin but stopped as I saw Veronica waiting for the elevator with Tony.
"Hey what are you doing here?" I asked as I walked towards her.
She looked at me in surprise as if she didn't want me to see her.
"Oh Ally...you here?" She asked nervously.
"It's my office Ver? How can you not expect me here?" I laughed.
"No no I meant you here in the corridor and not in your room" she said.
"Was out for some work. Forget that and tell me how come you are here?"
"She will be your and Jake's stylist for the photoshoot" Tony said before she could say anything.
"Really? That would be great!" I hugged her.
"Yeah I am surprised your boss hired me" she smiled.
"You are amazing. Anyone would hire you...but were you planning to just leave without giving me this amazing news?"
"I thought I would surprise you" She said hesitantly.
"Everything okay?" I asked.
"Yeah.." She said with a fake cheerful voice.
"I don't think so. What is wrong Ver?" I asked holding her.
"Nothing Ally.. I'm just nervous. Never got a project in such a big company"
"Come on...you are the best"
"Yeah but I don't know how my boss will react when she gets to know that I was approached directly and I agreed without her consent"
"She won't mind it. You taking up this will benefit her too."
"Yeah definitely"
"Hey I was wondering which movie should we watch today?" I asked.
"Movie? Why?" She asked confused.
"It's our movie night.. don't you remember? My birthday eve? I asked Keira too but she has plans"
"Oh about that" she looked at Tony nervously.
"Any problem?" I asked as both of them were busy communicating through expressions.
"Actually we had plans tonight" Veronica shrugged.
"Oh umm wow..yoh should go ahead then.." I said in a cheerful tone. I was happy for them and not at all upset. Okay, a little upset but it's of no value in front of Veronica's happiness. She had been busy for the past few days and today if they finally got time to go out I'm not going to spoil it for some stupid birthday of mine. As it is I myself am not very fond of it.
"I'm sorry Ally...I totally forgot" Veronica's words snapped me put of my thoughts.
"Hey don't be silly..you all enjoy" I smiled. This time I was genuinely happy.